amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Too Much Temptation

I finally got my anticipated bookstore trip last night, and, as I had to immediately share on Twitter and FB, I managed to snag the last signed copy of Prince Lestat! I snatched it up and hugged it, like there was some chance someone would try to take it from me. There was another lady shopping through the signed editions and asked me what I'd gotten the last copy of. I was grinning like an idiot when I showed her. I geeked out. It was nerdy, and not pretty.

But then, that's where the trouble starts, because you can't just grab your book and hit the checkout line. No, there must be browsing. Books must be picked up and turned over, examined thoroughly, sniffed, even. There is way too much temptation involved. It's always a victory when I leave with what I came for, and nothing additional. Because I want to take a shopping cart into Barnes & Noble and heap it high. It doesn't even matter that I don't have time to read that many books, there's just something about seeing them piled up, waiting, full of possibility. Adventures I could take whenever I wanted, one page-flip away.

I spotted this gorgeous Lovecraft anthology that I'm putting on my Christmas list. It's so massive you'd have to open it up on the kitchen table to read it. I love the cover, and I love that it includes his story "The Hound," which is very Doyle-esque in theme and tone, and you know how I love my haunted dogs of the Isles.

Now, if I hope to meet my deadline, I have to keep myself firmly away from any and all bookstores until after the 19th. Barnes & Noble is still selling signed editions on a first-come-first-serve basis in-store for the rest of the weekend. You can check out the list of offerings here.

1 comment: