amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Friday, January 30, 2015

Lines 1/30


From
Price of Angels
Copyright © 2015 by Lauren Gilley
 
Michael felt the slow, even pounding of his heart against his ribs. He didn’t want to hear the story she was about to tell him. The dread was already building in him, swirling like bile at the base of his throat. But he needed to know how bad it had been. He needed to have this justification for what he was fast realizing he had to do.

            “What did they do to you, honey?” he asked, quietly, his shoulders stiff with anticipation.

            She closed her eyes a moment, pain lining her face. “Promise me something first.”

            He waited until her eyes were open, and nodded.

            “Try – at least try, please – not to hate me, after I tell you.”

            “I won’t.”

            Her smile was small and wry. She took a deep breath. “My mother fell in love with a monster…”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment