amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, January 12, 2015

All Time Top Five

Workshop Wednesday has been a blog fixture for a year now, and with a few exceptions here and there, it's been something I was able to keep up with. I enjoy having that structured block of blog space where I can talk shop in a serious way. And since I was able to stick to it, I've decided to add another day-of-the-week post series. Since music plays such a pivotal part in my creative process, I thought it'd be interesting to have a Music Monday, where I can post what I'm listening to at the time, what's inspiring me, and talk about old favorites. Kicking it off today with my top five favorite albums of all time. Be warned: I don't have a cool bone in my body, so don't expect the music to be a departure from that.

Okay, here goes.

1. Back in Black, AC/DC
Favorite band, song, and album, all rolled into one ("Hells Bells" being the song). Trying to explain my love for AC/DC would be difficult. I don't understand it, and I've decided that's okay. Their sound is evocative; it feeds the writer in me. Stephen King writes to their music, so I supposed I'm in pretty good company there. I saw them live in 2008: cross that one off the bucket list.

2. Born to Fly, Sara Evans
This album released during my formative early teen years, and it stayed in the CD player in my room for about four years solid. Sara was a highlight of a truly bright spot in country music, before bro-country, before women shut their mouths and got into bikinis. Her voice is beautiful and there was a mood to this album that made me feel creative and deeply rooted. I still listen to it all the time and still adore it. "Born to Fly" and her cover of "Every Little Kiss" are my faves; but "Four-Thirty" comes in a close third.

3. Rascal Flatts, Rascal Flatts
Their first album will forever and always give me goosebumps. Their harmonizing is incredible, and their songs managed to be heartfelt and meaningful, without being cheesy or cliché. Such a perfect album by one of my very favorite bands.

4. Riot!, Paramore
My brother kept insisting that I listen to this band, and when I finally did, I didn't know why I ever resisted. More emotive and real than your typical emo band, their songs are catchy and beautiful, and can be applied to any genre of storytelling. I dare you to listen to them and not find a soundtrack song among the mix. "Miracle" is my favorite of this album, but "Misery Business" is so much fun.

5. Gold, The Allman Brothers Band
This is compilation album, and though I'm loath to reference those sorts of things, for their lack of original sparkle, this is such a great track list of their best work. "Whipping Post," "One Way Out," "Not My Cross to Bear," "Melissa," "Midnight Rider," and even more of their biggest hits. My dad introduced me to them, when I was very little, because he was a big fan. I don't think you can be born in Georgia and not have some Allman Brothers in your blood. They are timeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment