amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Workshop Wednesday - It's Okay to be Proud


I read this post today (always enjoy his thoughts), and it was a healthy reminder. Some people won't stop talking about themselves. Some people won't start - that's me. At dinner last weekend, my cousin said, "I had no idea how many books you've written. You never say anything about it." And the truth is, I don't. I don't bring it up, don't try to work it into a conversation; I downplay it when asked about it and try not to post any of my writer stuff on my personal FB page.

Why? I just don't like bothering people. You should see me on a date: borrr-ring. I live in this mindset in which I assume no one cares, and no one wants to hear, and I keep personal things personal, really personal. And in the case of writing, this is the wrong attitude. Unfortunately, in our braggadocios world of self-congratulation on social media, where poppy seeds pried from teeth and Diet Cokes purchased become major happenings, if you aren't talking about yourself, people assume you aren't proud. And that's not true - I'm very proud of my work. I've got carpal tunnel from typing and I lose sleep fretting over plot points. So a gentle reminder, my fellow introverts, that it's okay to be proud of our work, and to bring it up now and then, and answer honestly when people ask what we do. It's our job to promote, not to worry about who might not want to hear it. Our work is no less valuable than that of the more vocal, just because we talk about it less.

Did anyone else need that? Good. I know I sure did.

No comments:

Post a Comment