amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Nerd Things 10/28

Good stuff this week. Two books I've gleefully anticipated:

Prince Lestat by Anne Rice: the 11th novel in her Vampire Chronicles. The summary sounds like this is a return to her big production way of doing things, reminiscent of Queen of the Damned; I'm so excited to see the whole gang back together, though, let's be honest, I'd read an entire book about Lestat shopping for velvet frock coats. It released today and I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on a copy. This is a must-have hardback for me. Anne Rice has joined the likes of Tolkien and Martin in my list of forever-inspiring superauthors.



The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss: This is not the third installment of his Kingkiller Chronicles, but rather a companion novella, one that explores secondary character Auri, and her life beneath the school. Hopefully, this will be a nice little story nugget to tide me over until the third novel of the trilogy is released. Rothfuss writes with a natural blend of graceful detail and real-life grit; his prose sucks you in. Great books for long cold winter days, if you're a fantasy fan.

 
 
Taylor Swift's new album is on iTunes:

I don't like each and every song of hers, but I'm not afraid to admit it: I dig Taylor. 1989 feels like a natural step for her, given the pop vibe of Red, and given the frat boy turn the country music world has taken in the last year or so. I really like "Bad Blood" because I'm a sucker for her "bless your heart" push-backs against meanies. And "Welcome to New York" feels like 80s soundtrack music - in a good way. The thing about Taylor is, I appreciate talent, true talent, in all forms. And what she does so well is turn smart phrases; the girl is a poet, laying down honest, relatable lyrics that read like novel prose. Her heartfelt songs are where she shines; I think Taylor is at her best when she's singing lines like "kaleidoscope of loud heartbeats under coats."
 
 
Casting News: I know you should never trust a rumor, but talk is getting loud that Benedict Cumberbatch has been picked by Marvel to play Doctor Strange. I'm withholding my excitement until it's confirmed.
 
Scratch that: excited anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment