amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Gathering Thoughts

 
Any time I give any sort of public talk, I always begin the event by reminding everyone that I'm a writer, and not a public speaker. It lowers their expectations, that way. So when I come to a screeching verbal halt and get Bambi-eyed, they can lean over to one another and whisper, "She's a writer, remember. Writers are strange folks."
 
But in all seriousness, having to sit down and gather your thoughts about your career, your voice, your process, and your approach to art can be a very helpful thing. Most of the time, I'm running off pure impulse and subconscious. It's a theatrical trailer and a play program in my head, with my muse saying, "Sit down, darling, and let me handle this." So when I put a presentation together, it's a bit of a revelation, and it's fun to dissect everything and package it up in coherent paragraphs.
 
In prep for next Thursday's evening event, I'm finding that, as usual, I have very little to say about myself, but a lot to say about art. I've now got pages and pages of notes that are inspiring all sorts of Workshop Wednesday posts. This process has reenergized me; talking about the importance of prose, and the revival of classic themes - it makes me want to write, and write. I'm so looking forward to an evening of talking shop.
 
Quick reminder that the JLCM Sustainer event has changed time and venues.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment