amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Friday, September 4, 2015

Character Ramblings

 
(Notice how so many of my post titles involve the word "ramblings" these days)
 
I've just recently watched the 2011 Jane Eyre film, and why I waited this long, who knows. I still think the miniseries incarnation, with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens is a more comprehensive, accurate version. The 2011 film could have used with more time to develop the characters further - but, it was misty, gorgeous, and the cast was stellar. I especially loved Michael Fassbender's portrayal of Rochester (I love when a favorite actor plays a favorite character).
 
The movie got me thinking. I like to draw from classic literature whenever I can, and the characters themselves are the most obvious evidence. Fitting with this series, I think, given it's called "Dartmoor" and it doesn't get much more English than that...even if I'm writing mostly-American bikers. Mercy as a kinder, gentler (well, sometimes) Heathcliff. Michael as a way-less-charismatic(and that's saying something) Rochester. Walsh ended up being a bizarre conglomeration of the men in Bathsheba Everdene's life in Madding Crowd (though largely Farmer Oak). Suffice to say, I like those English character archetypes, and I like using their spirits in contemporary settings. Their stories are not the stories of Heathcliff, Rochester, or Oak, but there are sparks of those characters inside them. And I don't usually know who I'm referencing until I get inside his head.
 
Except for Aidan. I've known him all along. Prince Hal, circa Henry IV, parts I and II. Hal's relationship with his father was the primary inspiration behind  the Ghost and Aidan dynamic. Which would make Ghost Henry IV himself - very fitting. Here's hoping Aidan can grow into a full-fledged Henry V.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment