amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, August 3, 2023

#ThrowbackThursday - Loverboy

 


"Thank you," Tango said one night, a beer in his hand, Mercy's solid presence taking up most of the couch beside him. 

In the kitchen, he could hear the girls talking happily about something, the bright spill of Whitney's laughter like a gift. Aidan had taken a colicky Lainie for a walk out in the cool early spring air; the faint notes of his terrible singing voice could be heard when he passed close to the window. 

"For everything," Tango continued, quietly. "I mean, for doing what I couldn't, yeah, but for...for listening." All those makeshift therapy sessions in the apartment, Ava's baked goods, the complete and total acceptance of all the terrible stories he'd told, the lack of judgement. 

His eyes burned, suddenly. "I..."

"Hey." Mercy's huge arm went around his shoulders and pulled him in close. "I'm always here, okay?"

Tango nodded. 

"Love you, brother."

He couldn't speak for the lump in his throat, but Tango nodded again, and he hoped Mercy could read the love in it. He probably could; he was perceptive like that.



I can remember being crabby in general while writing Loverboy, but didn't put two-and-two together until after the fact that it was because the book was so very heavy. Even then, with the story fresh in my mind, I don't think I realized that it was the sort of relentless, sucker-punch story that kept layering bad upon bad, trauma upon trauma, that makes for a nervy and unsettling reading experience. Even an upsetting one. It's a bit of a shock to page back through the book now, looking for quotes, and see just how dark it is. I wouldn't change a thing, though. Tango's story is all-too-real, and the end message of hope and a positive future is one that I think is necessary for the series. 

I set the Reel for the book on Insta to "Masterpiece Theater III" by Marianas Trench, because that song has always been Tango's for me. 














4 comments:

  1. I love Tango! Him and Aiden are some of my favorite characters! I would love to see their growth as individuals in future books, do you think we will see that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book had me crying for Tango. And falling for Ian poor broken Ian, That Ghost doesn't know what to do with

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dreaded reading Loverboy because I knew it would gut me. And it did just that. It wasn’t a feel good story at all but there was relief and happiness in knowing Tango would survive. And although Mercy and Aiden were very instrumental in Tango working through his trauma. And they both are due so much credit. It was also all of the Lean Dog brothers and their wives that helped get Tango through it all. Their love and acceptance gave Tango that safe place he needed to heal and progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aside from Tenny and Reece as a couple, Tango...and Ian...are my favs. Tango endured SO MUCH and still survived. I want him to have it easier as time goes by; not having to deal with what may be in a villan as Fallon. SO glad he has Whitney and the Lean Dogs loving him, but also that Ian is there regardless of whom they're married to now. They will always love each other...

    ReplyDelete