amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Friday, August 18, 2023

Those Weedy Days (not THAT kind of weed)

 



I posted a sunset shot on Insta last Friday evening, and then didn't post again until this morning. Yikes. Remember when nobody felt obligated to post stuff on social media to prove they were alive and (not really very at all) relevant? I am in fact still alive, though I'm not sure I was ever relevant, so one out of two ain't bad. I had a thoroughly unfun week of being sick, hurting my back, and having my horse turn my right pinky toe into a mashed-up purple potato with one glancing hoof strike. She was feeling feisty when I turned her out and I failed to step out of the way in time. It's not broken, I don't think, hairline maybe, but that was WITH boots on. Don't ever get cute and wear flip flops to the barn, folks. I've seen that turn out BADLY for other people in the past. 

But I dragged my carcass into the computer chair today, and words went on the page, so things are traveling in the right direction. 

This is the time of year when I start to feel very done with the summer grind. The plants have gone leggy and crispy, despite constant watering and feeding; this year the storms snapped or twisted most of the cutting garden, so it looks like a bad haircut on a breezy day. The weeds, manageable with ten minutes here and there, are suddenly, wildly, viciously out of control, and it's going to take hours and maybe even a truck bed to get them up and out to the trash pile. The tomatoes are tired, the trees are tired, the grass is tired - everything is tired except for Strider, who sprints and sprints and won't let you steal an hour at night for a little mindless TV. It's a very "blah" time of year, and always puts me in a bit of a funk, even without losing a week to stupid physical ailments. 

I've not been posting, but I have had an awful lot of time to think about posting; about stories, and details, and moving forward. I watched a few movies, read some absolutely incredible fanfiction, and spent far too much time mentally story-mapping books I don't have the time to write at the moment. 

I'm back! Sorry for a week of radio silence. I missed Teaser Tuesday! Eek! If my typing can catch up to my brainstorming, I have lots to post soon. 

5 comments:

  1. I thought about you yesterday when I was taking my afternoon walk and saw some beautiful dahlias. I thought “Lauren hasn’t posted any pics or posts - hope she is okay”. I know you had some harsh weather. I am glad you are feeling better. I totally get that “blah” feeling. I am done with the heat. We are expecting a storm in SoCal, hope everyone stays safe. Will welcome some rain. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a feeling, something was afoot, ha ha sorry I grew up with horses. I've been thrown, and bitten ,on the butt, and stomped on by a horse I really loved

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. glad your feeling better 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you had a bad week. I was hoping you were mia because of a writing frenzy. But I've missed your pictures too. It's been so miserably hot in Phoenix that my flowers all died early last month. I've really enjoyed seeing your beauties.But soon you'll probably have lovely fall pictures to share 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see and hear you ! Please don't ever stop publishing your books you are my one click author always.
    I wish your writing life was free of trolls and lols ... ;)

    ReplyDelete