amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Parts That are True



I work really hard to ensure that my characters aren't extensions of myself. To some extent, there's always a bit of the creator in a fictional character, but I strive to keep them their own unique people. Trust me, no one wants to read about me; my fictional people are much more well-rounded. They leave lasting impressions on those around them; they are good parents; they have personality. Fiction > Truth. I learned that a looooong time ago. Most likely in a movie theater or with my face in a book. But there are a few little true things about myself I can't seem to keep from incorporating.

The parts that are true:

-  I love blue. It, more than any other color, has magical, superstitious power over me.

-  Jade's horse Atlas in Whatever Remains IS my horse Markus. He's a special little snowflake.

- I ride dressage.

- I spend too much time basking in the sights, scents, sounds of the outdoors, just existing and breathing it in. So setting and landscape details are important. I crave the smell of wood smoke.

-  I love cars. If I ever won the lottery, I'd blow all my money on leather jackets, boots, and cars. There's just something about the sound of a V8 turning over...

-  I dig Jane Austen.

- I hate the superficial questions of first dates.

- Intelligent men are hot.

- I love old houses.

- I have tomboy fashion sense (or lack thereof).

- Black fingernail polish

- Visiting Ireland is on my bucket list.

It's funny, because the question I'm asked by readers, sometimes, is where I get my ideas. "Is this based on your real life?" they ask. The answer is, and always will be, no. But I can't resist injecting bits here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment