amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cobb Library Foundation Luncheon

You'll have to forgive me today if I sound like an idiot - my cold, or whatever it is, has come back with a vengeance and it's all I can do to string a sentence together.

Yesterday, I attended the Cobb Library Foundation's Booked for Lunch event with my mom and my Aunt Sandy, who was generous enough to invite us. The luncheon was part of a series designed to help raise funds for the Library Foundation and was held at the Marietta Country Club. It was lunch, a wonderful guest speaker, and a little elbow rubbing.



The Foundation held seven of these lunches in 2012, and yesterday's featured author was James Farmer.



Quoting his website, James is, "a Southern author, gardener, floral and interior designer, cook and garden-to-table lifestyle expert" (http://jamesfarmer.com/about/). He is Editor-at-Large for Southern Living, the author of bestselling books A Time to Plant, Sip & Savor, Porch Living, and Wreaths For All Seasons, and has his own garden design business. He shared his personal background, beautiful books and a wide sampling of his design work . I'm a fiction writer, but I'm a farm girl too, and his presentation gave us lots of new ideas. If you enjoy gardening, cooking and design, follow the link I provided.

Fun tidbit: I sat next to Vince Dooley at lunch! Sandy landed us at a table right up front and clearly it was the VIP table because the former University of Georgia football coach joined us. Needless to say, I felt like a ridiculous dumb kid telling a College Football Hall of Fame coach I was a novelist when he asked me about myself. So, like I said, elbow rubbing.

It was a fun outing and I got to shake a lot of hands. I'm hoping to be a part of a new author event the library will be putting on sometime after New Years at which I'd have an opportunity to sell and promote my books. I can't thank Sandy enough for the chance to attend yesterday.

Oh, and check out the clubhouse's Christmas decor.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



4 comments:

  1. Just wait until your oldest cousin hears about you sitting next to Vince Dooley. Can you say jealous????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you, Lauren. I'm suffering from a cold, too, plus skin surgery on my back. Stringing sentences together is a challenge!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete