amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, January 29, 2024

Another End

 


I took this photo at 6:33 pm, thereby proving that it's staying light a little longer each day, which is wonderful news! 

Here's another bit of wonderful news: I finished another book today! College Town should be all set for a Valentine's Day release. 

There's always something terribly bittersweet about writing the last lines of a novel. Whether it's one that I've breezed through, or one that I've toiled and lost sleep over, the excitement of finally finishing is quickly eclipsed as I realize that I have maybe half a page of text left before I get to type THE END. Each sentence feels heavy, then; the weight of "gotta get it right," "have to end on just the right line" presses down and down on my shoulders as I move down the page, and then, suddenly, that's it. I'm done. And as glad as I am that I'm done, I'm always struck by all the ways that I could keep going, if I wanted to. The characters are still talking to me, they still have so much more to do...but all stories must end. Books can't go on forever. I find myself thinking "but what if someone wants to know what happens the next day? Or the next?" And maybe people do want to know...but the book has wound its way to a soft and reasonable ending, and it's time to let go. 

With College Town, it was really fun to know that I was working on a standalone, but it made that bittersweet THE END all the more potent. I never say never to sequels, or shorts, or little blog tidbits, but for now, it's time to turn the page. 

Look for College Town next month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment