amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Saturday, April 27, 2019

Sorry, I Need to Vent


Warning: this is going to be long.


Second warning: this is about Avengers: Endgame, and while I’ll try not to discuss explicit spoilers, it will, by its nature, be spoiler-y. It’s also going to reflect my negative thoughts on the film, so if you loved it, and want to think me a crybaby, you’re completely free to do so. Backspace now and you don’t have to hear my whining. 








I was supposed to go see an early matinee of the film yesterday, but woke up to fever, chills, headache; my compromised immune system picked up germs this week at the post office, or the feed store, or the grocery store, or wherever. So I stayed home. Feeling more than a little sorry for myself, and too anxious to help it, I looked up spoilers online. When I got done staring at my phone in shock, and murmuring “are you f---ing kidding me?” over and over, I looked up every spoiler and write-up I could get my hands on. 


Marvel, sincerely, what the actual…?


No story can please every fan. Personal whims can’t be catered to, and there’s no such thing as a “perfect” story. Someone somewhere will find fault. As a creator, I’m intimately familiar with the dangers of listening to the complainers; you have to be true to your vision. 


But here’s the catch: as I blogged about on Monday, when that vision becomes about servicing a trope, or a spectacle, or a random plot bunny you just really wanted to exorcise – at the expense of the characters and their arcs – you’ve lost your audience. In fact, you’ve betrayed their trust. When the plot of your story negates all the character growth that’s led up to it, you’ve failed as an artist. You’ve willfully catered to spectacle rather than substance, and that’s my one unforgivable sin of storytelling. 


When the MCU first got started in 2008 with Iron Man – I’ve been watching these movies for eleven years, so my anger feels a little bit justified at this point – it made a statement. They were going to approach superhero movies in a character-driven way that felt really tangible and relatable. Not simply muscled dudes in spandex, but men and women who had real flaws, hang-ups, and emotional issues, who just happened to be heroes. The movies were about Tony, and Steve, and Thor as people, not about Iron Man or Captain America…or Thor the God of Thunder. 


It gets a lot of flak, but I adored that first Thor film. What could have been cheesy and vapid was instead, under KB’s Shakespearean direction, a Bard-influenced family drama. Kenneth Branagh and Tom Hiddleston created for us a Loki who isn’t a comic book villain, but a deeply flawed, many-layered tragic figure who’s become one of the most beloved characters of the franchise. And I love watching, across Thor’s three films, the way Thor himself grows, matures, and goes from spoiled, braggadocious prince to an empathetic, thoughtful, kind leader who actually deserves to lead his people. Who loves his brother unconditionally, even when he has to teach him a harsh lesson. From selfish to selfless, Thor’s journey from Thor to Infinity War is incredible. 


And then there’s Steve. That scrawny kid from Brooklyn. Special on the inside before he had the muscles to back it up; Steve who parachuted behind enemy lines because Hydra had Bucky. Who exposed and destroyed SHIELD because they’d been corrupted by Hydra. Steve who’s “not a perfect soldier, but a good man,” in a world that needs good men rather than soldiers. Steve’s journey, through all of his movies, is about doing what you can when you can, but moving on when you have to. 


At the beginning of The Winter Soldier, Peggy tells him that “sometimes the best we can do is start over.” And the whole film is about starting over. Peggy did, back in the forties. She grieved for him, but she moved on; she married, she had children, she worked her ass off to build SHIELD. Steve, defrosted in the modern age, is arguably depressed and aimless; he missed out on all that. But then the mask falls off, and they have Bucky, and his best friend isn’t dead, but brainwashed, the longest-held POW in history. Throughout the rest of Steve’s journey, he’s totally devoted to saving the friend who saved him in a previous century; because “even when I had nothing, I had Bucky.” 


Being in CA fandom after the release of that film was amazing. The angst, the heartbreak, the possibilities. Post CA:TWS was, no matter how you chose to view any of Steve’s relationship, a chance to “start over.” Steve had not just allies, but friends. He had Sam, and Nat, and he had the chance to find Bucky, to help him. For all of these flawed, wounded, traumatized people to build something new. Because isn’t that the promise of these sorts of stories? The reason we project ourselves onto the characters? We can’t change the past, but with the help of the people who care about us, we can face our fears, we can learn to cope with our trauma and heartbreak. And, slowly, we can begin to heal. We can still find small things to smile about. We can go on that vacation; we can let good people into our lives and hearts. 


Bucky’s story gave everyone hope. If he could heal from the terrible things done to him, then we could heal, too. It wasn’t about his cool robot arm or his long hair; it was about hurting for him; it was about hurting for Steve. “’Til the end of the line” meant something to viewers. We wanted to watch this group of damaged characters learn to smile again; we wanted to watch them support one another on bad days. We can’t go back; character growth is a line that moves only forward, and we loved the idea that we might get to see that. A respectful handling of PTSD, shared trauma, and friendship. 


Tony Stark is a character who, throughout his films, seemed to learn nothing between films; much like Bucky in the bank vault, all that he’d learned from the film before was wiped clean, and he was reset, and the exact same personal drama played out over and over again. It’s the reason his films don’t interest or entertain me as much as the others. 


But with The CA movies. With Steve, and Sam, and Bucky, and Nat – there was a chance to march bravely forward. A chance for a bittersweet ending that preserved all the important lessons they’d learned along the way.


Avengers: Endgame takes everything built in the Captain America films and obliterates it. Grinds it into dust. Who needs character growth when you can just go back in time, ignore all the horrible things that happened in the past 75 years, and leave these people you’ve spent eleven years building relationships with to their own fates?


I am livid. 


LIVID.


What kind of ham-fisted, lazy, craptastic writing is this?


Oh, you thought this was about friendship and found family? About sacrifice and building a better future? Psych. It was only ever about the explosions and fights and the spectacle of it all. Consistent characterization? What’s that? Steve spends six movies fighting for the characters around him that we, as the audience, were told to care about? Turns out, he’s gonna abandon them! 


I’ve spent the year since Infinity War – which I really enjoyed! – worried the writing/directing team might fumble in the red zone. I hoped I was wrong…I didn’t realize I could be even more upset than expected. I didn’t know I was going to be looking at a University of Tennessee red zone fumble. 


I don’t like to post anything this negative. But, God…I’m mad. I’ve spent eleven years watching these movies, loving these characters. And THIS is the culmination? 


On Monday, I talked about the way pushing the envelope and doing the ~unexpected~ is driving media. And the way that fails to reward the audience that is there for the characters. I think, in this instance, the powers that be at Marvel really had no idea why their devoted audience was so devoted. For me, while the visual spectacle was enjoyable, that’s not why I kept coming back. That wasn’t why I shelled out $17 for a movie ticket and hung on every trailer release. I love these characters; when the final chapter of your story erases all those characters’ growth, what was your aim? Were you ever trying to tell compelling stories about realistic people? Or was it always just about blowing stuff up? 


Something I’ve noticed in the last few years: whether it’s books or movies or TV, there’s always devoted fans, and casual viewers. There are those who buy all the merch, who write fic online, who join chats, and who go to Comic-Con. Those who really obsess. And then there’s those who go to the movies all the time and think “this is supposed to be a big deal, might as well see it.” Both provide income for the movie industry, but here’s the catch: the devoted fans are a Sure Thing. They’re already snared and won’t be able to stay away. And it’s the casual viewers that companies are trying to lure in. I think that’s to blame for about 95% of the sloppy, inconsistent writing that happens in Hollywood. Writers and directors are trying to draw in new viewers, taking the devoted ones for granted. What results is, often, choppy and regressive character growth; or total deviations. They’re playing to spectacle and not to character. 


Worse, they’re also trying to get blogs and review sites to praise their work, and the best way to do that is to really ~surprise~ and ~shock~ everyone. 


Okay. Deep breath. I’ll stop. I’m not trying to point fingers at anyone or encourage anyone to reach out to any creators, ever, with cruelty. I needed to vent. It’s a lesson that, unfortunately, I keep having to learn over and over: if you’re there for the characters, you’re going to get shafted in the end. If you really care, you will always be hurt. It’s just fiction, though, right? It doesn’t matter? Lol – shut up, spend all this money, and settle for your disappointment. 


And THIS, ladies and gents, is why I’m an indie. I can choose to tell my character-driven stories in a way that aims to correct this trend in popular media. Oh, the irony of ironies, but, if I can’t depend on others…


No comments:

Post a Comment