amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, June 8, 2015

We Have A Winner

Today's music pick is "New York New York" because that's what they play before the Belmont Stakes, and we have a new Triple Crown Winner!

CONGRATULATIONS to American Pharoah and Victor Espinoza.

There's a part of me, having seen so many horses warped by the race track, knowing there is a dark, dark side to the business, that wants to hate horse racing. But there is an undeniable magic to this sport. It's terribly romantic. I cried Saturday, when I watched American Pharoah cross the finish line, because winning one of the jewels of the Triple Crown is a feat; winning all three is mind-blowing. There's something timeless and noble in the air at a race track. Something mythic about this sport. The horse is the ephemeral element - he doesn't care about the money, or the publicity, or the legacy; the incredible spirit of these animals will always humble me. I'm so glad I got to witness this moment in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment