amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Zone


I've been deep in the editing zone for the last couple of weeks, and that's why I've been semi-MIA around here. Tomorrow night is the deadline for my ebook final draft of Half My Blood and "frazzled" doesn't begin to cover it. The closer the due date looms, the more I begin to think "I never should have written this book." I think that with every book I write, so no surprises there, but it's a less than productive thought process.

The truth is, I'm excited about this one, because it's different. Without a single, linear storyline, HMB was like writing a series of vignettes. And I have to tell you, vignettes are my guilty pleasure. I love words, and I love shiny, standalone scenes, and this book was a chance to play with some of that. It was also a chance to touch base with certain characters before I get locked into Walsh's story.

Some scattered thoughts I wanted to share:

- I don't like reading books that are photocopy edits of other books just like them. Romance novels Costco style, one just like the next in bulk. So I set out to write something literary, true-to-life, and very different. If this style hasn't worked for you in Fearless and Angels, it will for sure not work for you in Blood.

- I love Tango. I love his brokenness, and sweetness, and the things that lay ahead for him.

- Michael's pretty unapologetically lovable at this point.

- Resolutions don't come quickly or easily; I believe in patience, and reality, and epic narratives.

- Biker life is not glamorous

- Mama needs a mental break after this one

Okay, I'm going to get back in the zone. Then we can have some fun with this book release :)

No comments:

Post a Comment