amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Likeness


Book club read The Likeness for tonight's discussion, which I recommended. I hope they liked it. I hope I don't sound like a blithering idiot when I tackle the discussion. It's the second in a series of books I'm sure you've heard me talk about before. This is the third time I've read it, and each time, I come away with something new. This time, I think I've finally put my finger on why I love Tana French's writing so much.

In chapter one, Cassie tells us, "Someone else may have dealt the hand, but I picked it up off the table, I played every card, and I had my reasons." Cassie, like all of French's characters, continually lies to herself (and don't we all do that?). But never does she pretend she had no choice in the matter. French's characters are never the victims of circumstance, chaos, chance, happenstance; they make decisions. The stories are a web of decisions that affect each and every character.

I like that. I love that. I believe that to be true.

On top of that, this novel is full of misdirects, spooky notes of subtle suspense, intense and rich details that create an atmospheric thriller that is more literature than genre fiction.  I can't recommend it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment