amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Monday


I don't know if you can see them in the picture - blame my snapping-while-driving bad picture taking - but every Fourth of July, Veteran's Day, and Memorial Day, the city (thank you small town west Georgia) sets out American flags all the way down the median along the main stretch of highway. There are little footers set down in the grass where a contingency of volunteers place each pole. There's a flag per every ten feet or so, for a good eight to ten mile stretch of road: the whole width of the city (cities out here are one every stoplight, almost). It's a simple salute, but it has a big impact. At the end of the day, the volunteers collect them again, riding in the back of an antique fire engine. In a city fast going suburban, it feels very Mayberry. And patriotic.

There's plenty of places in the world I want to visit, but I love my US of A. Days like today - and flags along the highway - are reminders that there are so many men and women to thank for my little country life. I'm forever grateful to our troops.

It's been a quiet day around here. Yesterday was a usual yard work/chore day, so today is lax. No cookout. No guests. No fuss. It's lovely. And the farm is at its greenest. When everything is mown, trimmed, watered and tended, it's nice to sit back and enjoy it for a bit.


 
I wish you could smell the honeysuckle!
 
 

 
 
I have a busy week, so while I'll try to blog as per usual, I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to. If you don't hear from me, I'll be back next week. I hope everyone had a lovely day of revelry - or relaxation, if you're like me. I reached the 80k word mark with Remains this morning, so be on the lookout for news on that front. It won't be long now!
 

 

1 comment:

  1. I love your pictures!!!! They are so good!!!! We saw the flags along the highway last year and they are a beautiful reminder of the men who lost their lives. Thanks to the county for putting the time and effort into the memorial.
    GM

    ReplyDelete