amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Keeping Warm



Though winter is far from upon us, this is the time of year when my annual bundling begins. I have such a hard time keeping warm in the fall, winter and spring. Layer upon layer, sweatshirts, wool socks, hoods and hats, gloves, piles of blankets at night - I'm cold all the time. And when I'm cold, all I want to do is curl up on top of an electric heating pad and read, which, fat chance of the horses letting me get away with that.

I write seven days a week, and while it's important to keep physically warm, I need to keep mentally warm and fit too. And I really don't have a strategy for this: when I'm working on a novel, I work on it. Some days are admittedly slower than others, but whatever else is going on in life, the story always persists.

Someone referred to my writing as "goofing off" once. You can imagine how well I swallowed that pill! Suffice to say, I may not be clocking in and out, and my manager is my own internal alarm keeper, but the business of writing is indeed a business.

2 comments:

  1. You are NOT goofing off! Some of my time is spent daydreaming, which helps my novel, but doesn't look very productive. And I swear by fingerless gloves while writing. I'm a cold-natured person, too!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingerless gloves are a great idea! I'll have to remember that. Thanks, Debbie :)

      Delete