amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Brain Drain

Fighting the drain is the most difficult part of writing for me. It occurs at intervals throughout the process, but is always the worst as the end of a project draws near. In years past, it was frightening to deal with moments when the words just stopped coming, but I've learned that, eventually, they'll return and all will be right with the world again.

Lots of writers talk about finding ways to stay motivated, and for me, I have to stay motivated with one story, one set of characters, in particular. I'm pretty manic about writing, so I always know I'll finish - it's more a case of finishing well.

What works for me:



Yeah, I wish I could say I started every day with some sort of revitalizing nectar of some kind, but that wouldn't be fair to Coke. I don't want to hurt its feelings.



I spend at least an hour every night before bed neck-deep in my iTunes library. My tastes are not genre specific - whatever moves me and gives me something to take away - and I usually have a "soundtrack" for the stories I write that helps me feel plugged into my characters and the things that make them tick.



The Internet is absolutely crushing to creativity. Going for a walk, working down at the barn, anything outdoors where I can snap pictures (and listen to my iPod) is energizing. I'm obsessed with the sky and all sorts of cloud pictures - gives me things to describe when I write.

There's thousands of motivational books and websites out there, and I know they help many, but for me, it starts and ends in my own head. Every time someone says, "oh, you should write about...", well, it could be the best suggestion in the world, but I just can't make my brain cooperate. It's frustrating sometimes, but that's just how it goes.

Speaking of which, I think I need some caffeine...

1 comment: