amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mom's Birthday



Today is my mom's birthday and, like every year, I am reminded that I don't take the proper time throughout the year to really express my gratitude. "Thank you"s are exchanged routinely, but I wonder if she knows how much I appreciate her.

This picture was taken a few (maybe eight) years ago at the Olympic Horse Park, my stomach in its usual tangle of knots as Mom and I watched my competitor complete her ride and Cosmo watched...something, sweetly of course because he never did anything that wasn't done sweetly. That day, like all the other horse show days, Mom was my caddy and my groom: camera and test schedule in hand, a brush and a towel in her back pockets. She wiped the green slobber off Cosmo's mouth and gave his sweaty neck a quick brush down before we went into the show ring. Wiped the dust off my boots - because you do NOT go into the show ring with dust on your boots. She knew when I rode, in which arena, how long it would take to walk from the barn, reminded me during my warm-up that it was almost time. I was constantly amazed how much she learned about my sport, how in-the-know she was. She was not a parent who showed up ten minutes until my test in clean clothes, took her seat in the bleachers and clapped politely. No, she drove the truck, checked me in at the office (usually while I was having nervous dry heaves in the bathroom), went behind me and touched up the horse when I failed to get all the dirt from behind his ears.

She was dirty and sweaty and exhausted and choking down horse show concession stand French fries alongside me. Lugging saddles and bridles and reminding me not to get freaked out because that horse and rider ahead of us had executed a flawless test.

I could never have reached for my horse dreams without my mom. And she still supports me in everything I do. Whether it's my writing or my riding, whether it's something as simple as swinging by the feed store when I'm sick, or holding my hand when one of my horses is sick. She reminds me not to let what other people say get under my skin, tells me to keep going when I doubt myself. And for that, and so many things, I'm always grateful.

Love you, Mom! I don't say it enough, but I really, really do THANK YOU.

Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your mom. I am glad she had you so you're around to be my friend. Love the picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet note about your Mom. Few daughters are able to express themselves as well as you did and far fewer take the time. We are all so proud of you!!!! Keep up the good work and know that we love you very much!!!!

    ReplyDelete