amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

#NaNoWriMo WrapUp

Well...NaNo went by really fast this year. Or at least seemed to. I knew going into it that I had no hope of hitting 50k because I'm always a little lethargic right after I finish writing a big project, and White Wolf was a doozy. So while I wish I was ahead of the game right now, I'm not really disappointed. All told, I got about 30k words done, plus some important story mapping. 

In general, the holiday season isn't conducive to writing. It's hard to have four- or five-thousand word days amidst the normal activities that command our attention this time of year. I like to write at least a little each day, no matter what, and I think the key is to set reasonable goals in order to lessen disappointment. My mom's been telling me to take a break, that I need one, and I think she's right. I WOULD like to take some days in December to do a whole bunch of nothing and enjoy the Christmas spirit. 

So this year, my December goals are to get ahead with some of my necessary research - I just ordered some books I'm excited to dig into that will help me with the next two or three books in the Sons of Rome series. I also want to dedicate some of this month to journaling as a way to stay connected to my characters and their story arcs, even on days when I can't actually write.

All in all, a successful NaNo this year. I hope you all met your goals, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment