amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Saturday, November 4, 2017

#WhiteWolf Debriefing Part II: Character



My mantra is that it’s all about the characters. No matter the subject matter, no matter the setting, no matter the action – as a writer, I have to love and believe in the characters in order to tell their stories. With every book, the goal is to create characters who stand on their own as individuals; who aren’t there for the sake of eye candy, but who are truly interesting, no matter what they’re doing. Characters who are people first, professions and habits second.

With White Wolf, the added challenge was the paranormal element. Personally, I love all things spooky, gothic, darkly atmospheric, and just a touch monstrous. I love vampires, and werewolves, and ghosts, and the things that lurk in the shadows. But I don’t think any of those things should ever overshadow character. In my years of reading fantasy, science-fiction, and paranormal books, I’ve found that when the concept of a story weighs heavier than the characters in a story, the book suffers overall. It might be cool, but it isn’t something that sticks with you. The stories we carry with us, the ones we obsess over, are the ones in which we loved, hated, or in some way identified with the characters.

And so my goal with the Sons of Rome series is to write books about people…some of whom happen to be immortal, or who have powers. Some of whom might drink blood.

Books can struggle, I think, when extraordinary characters are caught up in mundane, ordinary drama. What I want to do is write ordinary characters caught up in extraordinary scenarios…which in turn call upon them to be extraordinarily brave. I think that’s why comic books, and movies based upon them, have always been so wildly successful: the audience can readily identify with the central figures, who are just regular folks trying to get by, and who are then called upon to react to insane situations that test them again and again. As the audience, we aren’t simply told about someone’s exploits, like a bored guest at a dinner party who just wants the braggadocios jerk at the center of the room to shut up already. Instead, we’re right there with the characters, taking the journey with them.

One thing that’s very exciting for me as a writer is getting the chance to write about some real life historical figures, some of whom have become a part of pop culture. The challenge for me, and one I’m looking forward to, is to take someone like Vlad Tepes and move beyond the myth, to write him as a man, someone multi-dimensional and sympathetic. To write him as someone who isn’t fictionally superior to my original characters, who can interact with them all in a meaningful way.

At this point, I have lots of favorites. Val for covering his loneliness and anger with sarcasm and polish. Nikita for his grim determination and aloofness. Sasha for being a sweetheart, when he has very little reason to be. And I’m especially looking forward to spending more time with the titular character of book two, who is one of those special mortals who carries just as much weight as the immortal monsters around him.

I especially love that this series isn’t comprised of tidy romances, because it allows me to explore all the characters as we move forward, letting them grow and mature in a realistic, organic way, rather than forcing a happy ending for each book. As a writer, I want to keep challenging myself, to be a better writer with every day, every chapter, every book. I think even readers who don’t normally read paranormal books will be able to fall in love with these characters, and I hope you’ll all give them a chance.

Happy Saturday. More debriefing to come in the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment