amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

All The Light We Cannot See

 
One of my (many) goals this year is to read more. Last year I got sucked so deep into writing that I read less than I should have. I have a long list of books at the ready, and I'm hoping they'll keep me literary-minded as I embark on a crazy year of writing. So far so good.
 
Last Thursday, my book club discussed our January pick, All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. What a beautiful, moving, lyrical book it was.
 
The novel follows two central parallel stories, that of a blind French girl living with her father, and a young German orphan with a knack for radios, as the second World War kicks into full violence and eventually sweeps both of them up in its tide. It is as compelling, raw, and devastating as all WWII fiction - a time period that has always held a particular fascination for me. Doerr paints the most gorgeous and specific pictures; the settings of the book unfurl before you in full-color and surround-sound. With often direct and concise language, he pulls us into the characters and allows us as readers to experience their emotions to great effect.
 
It's the sort of book that reminds why I love being an author...and simultaneously makes me wonder why I even bother trying. I couldn't put it down. A fantastic start to the year's reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment