amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Monday, Mocha, Meeting, Maple, Madding


I started my day with such an awesome Starbucks meeting; I can't wait to share what that was about when it gets closer to time. I'm currently experiencing a Frappuccino hangover (this is how people get hooked on coffee, seriously) and doing office-y things at my desk.

In my book rush the last couple of months, I've lost track of the passage of time. I noticed this this weekend: changing leaves! Just the very tops of the maples, but I see you up there, orange edges. And falling leaves! It's still hot and muggy, but it doesn't really feel like summer anymore.



I've got a great big TBR list I'm hoping to get into in a few weeks, because I miss my dedicated reading. Last week, my book club discussed August's pick, Far From The Madding Crowd, and I wish I'd had more time to really savor this sumptuous, gorgeous book.



Thomas Hardy is a favorite of mine - he represents the pinnacle of English literature (when you're talking novels), and his cleverness shimmers off the page. The way he balances characters of varying social strata, and the way he uses prose as an artist would oil paints - divine. A novel like Madding Crowd, with its blend of artistry and human realism makes me feel both useless as a writer, and completely inspired. Though I didn't have much time to read, it came along at the right moment, and I'm glad I could squeeze it in.

Happy Monday, y'all. Is it nap time yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment