amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween

“The dominant spirit, however, that haunts this enchanted region, and seems to be commander in chief of all the powers of the air, is the apparition of a figure on horseback without a head […] However wide awake they may have been before they entered that sleepy region, they are sure, in a little time, to inhale the witching influence of the air, and begin to grow imaginative – to dream dreams, and see apparitions.”
 
~Washington Irving
 
 
I've talked about Washington Irving before. I talk about him too much. My muse. And this time of year makes him seem an appropriate conversation topic.
 
But no one wants to hear me wax on about Irving. It's Halloween!

I have always loved this holiday to distraction, but I haven't put much effort into it in a long time. I had a party to go to last weekend, and my costume inspiration was this pic of Jeff and Britta from Community:



Leather jacket? Check. Cat ears? Check. The lazy way out, but I haven't felt much like dressing up since that awkward Dorothy moment from elementary school. My mom handmade my blue gingham dress; I had ruby slippers and a basket and a little stuffed Toto. And at one house, a girl I went to school with answered the door. She was my age, but about five feet taller than I was. She gave me a Regina George smile and said, "Awww! Look at little Lauren, all dressed up as Dorothy. Hooow cute."

It wasn't embarrassing at all.


Everyone be safe and eat too much candy. I'll be spending my evening writing, trying to meet that December deadline.



No comments:

Post a Comment