amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Favorite Things: LOTR

Whenever I've been a little down and been a little stressed - whenever external factors begin to take their toll - I like to think about my favorite things. No...not raindrops on roses: things that pull me out of the daily lurch and remind me...

"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

 
 
 
So, this week, I'm talking favorite things. And I couldn't start that list without the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy.
 
 
The Lord of the Rings
 
The LOTR seems to be fairly polarizing: there are those who have no real opinion, but for the most part, there are those who can't stand it, and those who love it almost obsessively. I fall into the latter category. For a lot of reasons.
 
I was a sci-fi/fantasy child; I read The Hobbit at ten, the trilogy at twelve, and was smitten with Middle Earth and its heroic citizens. And then, my freshman year of high school, Peter Jackson turned the books I'd loved into the truest book-to-film interpretation I've ever seen, and he brought Middle Earth to vivid, tangible life.
 
The trilogy is artistically important for the fantasy genre, but for me as well. I think childhood inspiration has a way of shaping our adult sense of creativity, and in my case, I'm a sucker for good vs. evil; for true heroes; for the sort of wisdom that transcends elves and orcs and speaks to us as humans.

Plus, I always had a bit of a thing for Orlando in that blonde wig. I'm an adult. I can admit that.

And I named the farm in honor of the fields of Rohan.


“Where now are the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the harp on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the deadwood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
 
File:Edoras.jpg

Stirring stuff, no?
 
 
 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. While not a fan of Lord of the Rings(It's just not my thing - too violent and the Orcs are way too ugly to look at), I appreciate the creativity and the huge undertaking that series had to be for the author. Fans love it for sure!! Orlando was definitely looking good in that wig and I don't even like long hair on a man!

    ReplyDelete