amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

A True Story: part 5


At thirteen, I thought dressage was about as exciting as a root canal. I was pony clubbing and racking up 4-H ribbons with my Quarter Horse and all the top hat and tails extravagance of dressage seemed part of an equine cult that I had no hopes of ever breaking into. So, like every dumb kid, I turned my nose up at what I didn’t understand. I have since lamented my stupidity, but that’s a different story.

Cosmo was deemed – as expected – “unsalvageable”. His owner told me, in a conspiratorial stage whisper, that she was glad. “I want him to be a real horse,” she said, “and to have a little girl”. Enter said little girl. And thus I was given free rein to ride and rehab him.

Saying I had dressage lessons would be a lie. To begin with, I had rehab lessons. Kelly was undaunted by his fitness level (or lack thereof) and I was too giddy about being eighteen hands up in the air to be discouraged.

We made for the most ridiculous horse and rider pair. I topped out just shy of five feet; a soon-to-be-high school freshman with glasses and a retainer and…well…don’t expect any close up pictures of me from those days. On top of a ribby, patchy-haired bay moose who looked like he should have been hitched to a plow, I was every inch the barn rat with my reject, rescue nag. He had a long, long way to go before he was even sound, let alone fit for anything. And I’m sure that when he hit the ground twelve years before, all long, newborn legs and big head, no one had ever thought he’d be gimping along for a kid, a transition between trot and walk an applause-worthy feat, but that’s what happened. All he lacked in muscle he made up for twice over in heart, and a year later, he was back in the show ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment