amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A sunflower, a sequel, and neglect

This is the volunteer sunflower that's growing off the back patio. The birds kicked black oil sunflower seeds out of the feeder and from one of them, grew this monstrosity. It's funny that while the carefully watered and pruned potted plants are dying, here's this seven foot tall accident.





Because I obnoxiously link all things to writing, I find the irony comforting. When I try to make a story happen - when I sit down and decide I want to write a specific kind of story - creativity abandons me. It's the accidental stories that have a way of growing into something I never expected.

Keep You was one of those happy accidents. Now, I'm neglecting my blog as I work on the sequel. As a reader, I like sequels, but only if they're well-done. As a writer, I hope I'm getting it right, though it's a bit strange to work on a sequel when the fate of the original hangs in the balance.

But because I've decided wasting time is not in the least bit fun, I've set myself a deadline. If a certain thing doesn't happen before September first, I'm taking proactive steps toward my goal. September of 2011 was a difficult month, so this year, I'm going to ensure it's a good one.

1 comment:

  1. May "Keep You" grow as big as the sunflower! Dream big!

    ReplyDelete