amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, February 21, 2022

#MusicMonday - The Wild Charge



 I don't talk about music that much, despite the fact that music is such an integral part of my writing process. I don't listen while I write - I prefer to have low-stress cooking or home reno shows on in the background while I work - but I listen to music while I work out and while I brainstorm. I have very eclectic taste and listen to every genre - save bro country. Ugh. When will singer/songwriter country return? Anyway...

I prefer pop and rock. I used to always say my favorite band was AC/DC, and it IS. My gosh, I love them, and always will. But...they have some competition, which is why I have to say that I have two favorite bands. 

I graduated college in 2011, and things weren't great. I had applied everywhere, couldn't get an interview, and despite querying a multitude of agencies, couldn't get a whole manuscript request. Basically, I was talented, but not marketable. I didn't know what to do...and that was when I found Marianas Trench.

Over the years, thanks to some ugly behind the scenes nonsense, I've hesitated to share much of my inspiration, despite music's role in my creative process. But I realized it's more important to share than it is to protect my process. MT's "Ever After" touched me so much that it made me brave enough to self-publish, and their work has continued to inspire me ever since. Josh Ramsay is my favorite vocalist; he's so talented, can do a falsetto and a deeper, growlier voice; he also orchestrates all the amazing string and French horn parts of their songs which elevate the band from simple pop to movie soundtrack worthy. (And as a former French horn player, I'm so weak for good brass)

"The Killing Kind" is on my The Wild Charge playlist. 

"Masterpiece Theater III" was on my Loverboy playlist. 

Hope you'll give them a listen, because they're so, so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment