amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Friday, May 24, 2019

Some Friday Recs

Hi, all. It's Friday, and it feels like a good day to recommend some of my favorite fictional media. If you've been...let down...by a favorite movie or series lately, I have the recs for you! I can't guarantee we have the same taste, but I can safely tell you that I absolutely adore all of the titles listed below. 


Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 



First off, note to my regular readers, this is animated. Not only that, but it's anime. And I'll tell you: when I first watched it, it was with much skepticism; in my younger years, some of the trademark quirks of anime didn't necessarily jive with me. But those are quirks I've come to actually love (all kinds of media has quirks, and your mileage may vary on each one), and this show, which I binged over a weekend while I was sick, is just...magical. I love it. SO MUCH. I re-watch when I feel bad for any reason. 

The characters are so multi-dimensional and well-thought out. Their development is slow, and natural, and heartbreaking, and uplifting. The plot leaves you on the edge of your seat, but it always makes sense, and all the various story threads are wrapped up neatly and cleanly at the end. And WHAT AN END. I cried. In a good way. We have redemption arcs that are satisfying, victories that really mean something, and we have morally gray moments. Female characters who kick SO MUCH ass. There's alchemy involved, and lots of beasts and fantasy elements, so if you can't hang with my vampires, this maybe isn't for you. But if you like things that are a little different, this is an amazing show. I can't rec it enough. 

I originally watched it on Amazon Prime, but it's since become unavailable there. It's on Netflix, though. And I know anime purists insist on subtitles rather than the English dub versions, but I always watch the dub. I find reading subtitles causes me to miss things, and I don't have the mental energy for that most days.

I won't scream at you about how much I LOVE Ed, and Al, and Roy, and Riza, and Greed, and Ling, and Lan Fan...but know that I want to. 




Yuri On Ice


While we're talking about anime anyway, this show is so, so good. This was my first venture into anime. I watched it on freaking YouTube with subtitles, and then, when it came out, bought the dubbed DVD/Blu-Ray. (You can watch it on Amazon, now). 

In this sports anime (figure skating), main character Yuuri struggles with intense anxiety, and it's maybe the best, most realistic depiction of anxiety I've ever seen on screen. As someone who struggles with anxiety, it resonated with me in so many ways. And I love the characters, their challenges. It's cute, and sweet, and just a treat. 




All my vampire lovers, please go watch
Only Lovers Left Alive



Quiet, thoughtful, character-driven, this vastly underrated movie stars my faves Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton as vampire lovers, and it's just completely lush and divine. Lots of negative reviewers have called it boring because they wanted it to be like Underworld (which I also love, my dog is named after Bill Nighy's character in those films), and it is instead this slow, thoughtful study of what it means to be immortal. One of my favorite films of all time.



For book readers



I've read most of her work at this point, and really love her voice and style. This series is m/m, and balances intrigue, suspense, and emotional investment so expertly. Love her writing.

Happy Friday, everyone! Go read/watch something you love this weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment