amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

#DragonSlayer Debriefing: “Did I give you leave to speak to me, witch?”



Back to our debriefing! 

I want to talk about the end of the book today. Specifically about Vlad's moment in the basement at the end. 





The stupid mage kept talking, and kept walking. “Everyone here is–” He choked off, the very tip of Vlad’s sword coming to rest in the center of his throat.
Vlad said, “Did I give you leave to speak to me, witch?”
Liam swallowed, and the skin of his throat moved against the sword-tip. A drop of fresh blood welled. “I mean no disrespect, your grace.”
“Then hold your tongue.”


Compared to the ending of Red Rooster, this escape from Blackmere Manor is rather...anticlimactic. The only real reason for that is Vlad. 

When I started planning it out, I liked the idea of Val and co. having to fight their way out, much like in RR, only this time actually successful for Val. But I quickly realized that because this whole plan was orchestrated by Vlad, there was no way he was letting his little brother do any more than the bare minimum of fighting. That's what the wolves and Kolya were for in his estimation. They were, to be blunt about it, expendable for Vlad. Val was not. And it was his duty to make sure all eyes were on him. He knew he'd have a short window in which to properly cow and subdue everyone in that house, and, in typical Vlad fashion, he wastes no time getting right to the point. 


Vlad crossed the distance in two long strides, lifted his sword in a long, smooth motion, and separated the baton-wielding guard’s head from his shoulders. It landed with a wet, heavy sound against the stone, and then the body followed. The baton clattered to the stones, useless.


I love this moment because it highlights just how wildly all these modern men and women - and, though he isn't modern, even Liam - have underestimated Vlad Tepes. They've done their research, they've read about the gruesome things he's done. But that was centuries ago; that was part of an age and environment so long ago that it feels totally alien today, as they sit beneath electric lights and sip coffee and send emails. This is no longer a place where the bigger sword wins; you can't just threaten and bluster your way through things. And he's been displaced; asleep in the 15th Century, and now awake in the 21st, plunged into a totally new environment. Maybe he was this scary guy once before, but the world has changed since then.

Except, as Vlad himself thought a few scenes before, it hasn't actually changed at all. 

They've forgotten that he's smart; forgotten that he's patient. And though he might not be the most evil person in this manor, he's definitely the most ruthless, and the most effective. He didn't contrive of an elaborate escape plan because he didn't need one. He only needed to remind all of them that he could kill them any moment he liked. 

But then there's Liam. Who thinks he can magic his way out of this situation. 

We'd seen two previous meetings between Vlad and mages, and both went the same way. In an earlier scene, when Vlad and Val are still just boys, Vlad expresses some sourness/regret that he isn't "powerful." I wouldn't say that he's jealous of his brother's psychic abilities, but he certainly feels less special without having any. But I love that, the first time a mage tries to compel him - and succeeds in compelling his wolves and his mother - Vlad himself is unaffected. To my mind, this isn't a power; this is just Vlad being the most stubborn creature on earth; it's become manifest. Who needs psychic powers when you can just stubborn your way out of a jam?


Vlad drew his sword back.
Liam set himself aflame.
Vlad reached through the fire with his free hand, and gripped Liam by the face.
Liam screamed, and the fire went out, and Vlad dragged him in close as a lover, chest-to-chest. He ducked his head and bit the mage’s throat. His arm was badly burned, Fulk saw, but the prince paid it no heed.


I loved writing this moment. I love that the audience already knows what Vlad knows - that he can handle anything this "witch" throws at him. But Liam doesn't know it. That's a fun flip on the normal narrative approach of having the characters know more than the audience; readers are often in the dark, and then surprised. But here, we know, and the one who looks/feels a fool is Liam - who, let's face it, deserves to feel and look that way right now. 

In regards to where this is headed - now that Liam is bound to Vlad - I don't want to give too many spoilers. But Vlad never needed Fulk and Anna. He has a wolf - he just has to go find him. 

Still lots to talk about, so be on the lookout for more posts! 

And don't forget Dragon Slayer is now available. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved when Vlad said that to Liam! I don’t like Liam at all. And I was relieved they didn’t have a big fight on their hands when they escaped. While I was reading it, I was thinking that Vlad had probably handled everything. I also loved knowing what Vlad knows about Liam. Oh, so more Cicero.... I’m so excited about these books and cannot wait for the next one. I always feel as if I know your characters. Seriously, I can’t wait.

    ReplyDelete