amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Introversion and Extraversion

 
It can be challenging when one of these personality traits is viewed as more desirable than the other. While it's true that extroverts and introverts are best suited for different careers, and may interact in different ways, one trait is not "superior." I'm an introvert, and knowing this about myself helps me utilize my energy and imagination in the most effective way. Understanding your personality type enables you to adjust your learning and working styles so they work best for you.
Myths about introverts:
  • They are unintelligent
  • They are unhappy
  • They are afraid
  • They are incapable of interacting with others
  • They will be unsuccessful in business ventures
  • They wish they were extroverts instead
  • They spend time alone because they feel ostricised
 
I feel happiest when I've had time throughout the week to write, read, reflect, and spend some time inside my own head.
 
Quoted From the Myers & Briggs Foundation:

Extraversion (E)
I like getting my energy from active involvement in events and having a lot of different activities. I’m excited when I’m around people and I like to energize other people. I like moving into action and making things happen. I generally feel at home in the world. I often understand a problem better when I can talk out loud about it and hear what others have to say.
The following statements generally apply to me:
 
  • I am seen as “outgoing” or as a “people person.”
  • I feel comfortable in groups and like working in them.
  • I have a wide range of friends and know lots of people.
  • I sometimes jump too quickly into an activity and don’t allow enough time to think it over.
  • Before I start a project, I sometimes forget to stop and get clear on what I want to do and why
Introversion (I)
I like getting my energy from dealing with the ideas, pictures, memories, and reactions that are inside my head, in my inner world. I often prefer doing things alone or with one or two people I feel comfortable with. I take time to reflect so that I have a clear idea of what I’ll be doing when I decide to act. Ideas are almost solid things for me. Sometimes I like the idea of something better than the real thing.
The following statements generally apply to me:
  • I am seen as “reflective” or “reserved.”
  • I feel comfortable being alone and like things I can do on my own.
  • I prefer to know just a few people well.
  • I sometimes spend too much time reflecting and don’t move into action quickly enough.
  • I sometimes forget to check with the outside world to see if my ideas really fit the experience.
 
Adapted from Looking at Type: The Fundamentals
by Charles R. Martin (CAPT 1997)
 

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment