amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, September 10, 2012

New Release



Three years ago, I was an aspiring novelist with lots of ideas and zero readers. I turned to fanfiction as a means to test the waters: I wanted to see what strangers, what unbiased, impartial readers thought about my characterization and storytelling approach. Lots of published authors look down their noses at fanfiction, and it certainly isn't the sort of thing I talk about at parties because I try to pretend I'm not a geek in real life, but the feedback I received was invaluable. So many really sweet, really supportive readers from around the world gave me the ego boost I needed to keep plugging away with my original fiction.

My newest book isn't that new at all. I took a theme I explored through fanfiction and picked it apart - stripped out anything that wasn't originally mine and added in a new setting and new plot twists. I wrote a fanfiction story about a young widow and then I adapted it into something I can call uniquely my own.

Shelter is a decided sidestep from Keep You and its sequel, Dream of You (which will be released soon). Shelter follows two heartbroken souls on their struggle to higher ground. It's drugs, sex and violence, dark alleys, heartbreak and redemption.

You can find the Kindle version here, and download it to almost any digital device, including iPhones. Only $6.99. The paperback will be available soon and, as with Keep You, you can read a large sample section from the Kindle page before purchasing.

2 comments:

  1. Another book released?! This is so exciting, Lauren!!
    I distinctly remember waiting with baited breath for each new chapter of those fan fic stories. On one particular day, I was working at summer camp and remember telling my assistant that she needed to take over the class because I had to read the update as soon as possible. Irresponsible? Probably. Unprofessional? Definitely. But I knew that I needed to read it as soon as humanly possible.
    I wish you such continued success and can't wait to get this book too!
    Hap and Ava Forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kat! Thanks so much!

      Those stories were a blast to write. I was - also irresponsibly, lol - updating between classes. Maybe that explains my accounting grades. They will always have a special place in my heart. Ava taught me a lot and I hope she keeps helping me. It's scary and exciting to branch out in a new direction, and I will be forever thankful for fanfiction and people like you :)

      Delete