amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, June 4, 2012

On Characters


I’ve been thinking a lot about characters lately, those I love in literature and my own, and asking myself how I can improve my characterization process. When writing new stories, I always work backward: the characters come first, just ideas, snapshots, and I add meat and backstory, scars and mental triggers, and then the story grows on them like some kind of plot fungus or something. This process is pretty organic and very hard for me to nail down – explaining ideas, even in my own mind, seems to take some of the fun out of them – but in the interest of growing as a writer, I want to try and better understand my thought process.
While I work on Lightning and Breaking, I’m thinking ahead to my next story. Borderline obsession with a song has generated two new characters who I’m growing quite fond of, and when I tentatively shared them with my mom (because you don’t just throw ideas at just anyone) a look came across her face that told me, “you don’t usually write about that sort of thing.” And I don’t, but that’s why it’s really appealing to me.

I think every author puts a piece – even just a tiny little piece – of him- or herself in each character: it’s how we relate to them as humans, after all, how we get inside their heads. But because my characters are not replicas of me, it enables me to explore desires, hopes, beliefs and mindsets I may never get to experience: it’s a little mental vacation. As a reader, I don’t have to be just like the protagonist in order to identify with or like him or her. But this character has to be inherently human in his or her vulnerabilities. They have to be relatable. Their logic has to be just that: logical, and their emotions have to make sense. Even if the character is not anyone I’d want to meet in real life, I have to believe that, yes, this isn’t a trope or piece of cardboard, but a real person, ready to climb out of the pages.

I appreciate this same level of reality between characters. I love romances that go beyond surface attraction. Whether it’s weird and complex, weighs on the poor characters, or built on strong friendship, I like to feel that I’ve read about a worthwhile pairing. Romps can be fun, but romps don’t inspire me and don’t encourage me to shove a book in someone’s hands and demand she read it.

It might be fun to write up some character analysis posts. Okay, no “might” about it. I’ll have to think on it.

4 comments:

  1. I love it that you're not afraid to step outside your comfort zone when it comes to new ideas. It challenges you and produces growth both as a person and as a writer. Most people stay in their "box" and don't venture out of their safety zone. Of course, I want to know what song has generated this obsession but I'm sure I'll find out eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I continue to wish that what I wrote was as adventurous as what I enjoy reading, but baby steps, I guess. I hope you're right and that the challenges will help me grow!

      Delete
  2. Scarlett, one of my favorite characters ever! She does so many things wrong like marrying her sister's beau and always chasing Ashley, even though he is a weak character and not meant for her at all. She is spoiled and selfish! But, she is also strong, determined,and resourceful as she has to be to survive the war in Atlanta and the devastation of the South following the war. She puts food on the table, fights off Yankees and carpet baggers, and gets the money to pay the taxes on her beloved Tara. In her mind, if she steps on a few relatives along the way, the end justifies the means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of my absolute favorites. The strength that keeps her alive is riddled with flaws, and really, if she were perfect and tough and flawless, no one would still remember her all these years later.

      Delete