amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Friday, April 20, 2012

My Enemy, My Friend

The Internet.

Blogging a full-length story like this has both its benefits and its drawbacks.

The positive: No length restrictions. Your average published novel today must adhere to word count specifications, and editors suggest cutting content and altering story lines so that the book can be printed in the shortest amount of pages possible. I'm allergic to short novels, so on the web, I have no limitations as far as length goes, which is great, because Made for Breaking is going to be long, I can already tell.

Also positive is the possibility of writing a romance that isn't so tightly wound around the central, romantically interested characters. I have so much love and affection for secondary characters, both in print and on screen, so I like getting to tell their stories too. It also fleshes out the story and keeps the relationships from feeling so fast and cheap.

The negative: No filtering for adult content and language. I can label this blog as "adult", but I really don't want to limit access to it. So I'm editing the original draft before I post each chapter. Which I hate - it is really, really hard for me to part with the f-bombs and cut out certain content elements. But then I feel less awkward about publishing it in an open forum, so I guess it's for the better. If I ever luck up and get published, I'll make sure the dirty version is printed.

As a person who is overly paranoid about plagiarism and who has a hard time sharing anything, I'm still getting used to this whole blogging concept. But the traffic has been steady and encouraging - the international traffic is especially exciting. So thank you to all visitors!

No comments:

Post a Comment