amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

100 Words: More, Even Cheesier Flash Fiction


The Wait

Night crept in on soft, padded feet. It made no sound, but as the darkness pressed in around them, circling like hungry, silent wolves, it brought with it a dread so fierce it caught his breath in his throat. As the last of the light winked out, he saw the white of her tattered dress fluttering around her feet. And then everything was black. And then he heard the sounds: the splashes down the hill at the creek. They were coming for them, slowly, because they knew their prey would not run. “Come here,” he told her. She did, and together they waited.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I am blown away. Makes me want to know more. It definitely gave me goosebumps. There is so much depth and dimension in these few words. Please - I want some more sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I'll eventually write the story these flash fiction bits are a part of, but until then, I think I'll keep posting the 100 word drabbles.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. He didnt say "go. I'll distract (them)..."

    I am very much a fan of - if we aren't walking out together we aren't walking out at all.

    I'm also a fan of ultimate sacrifice and ultimate Saving Grace "I'll go out shooting... But I'd save a bullet for you, my dear, they'll never take you to a Hell before your end..."


    These 100 word things- I love them and I hate them because like with a limited time preview - without before and after , things can seem deceiving... Our minds do not like unknowns so it sets them to pondering ...


    I do enjoy them. I like jumping to conclusions , some days it's all the exercise I get... LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 100 word bits are really fun to write because there's no pressure: it doesn't have to go anywhere (even though after I write them I want them to go places).

      I love your logic - yep, there are different types of sacrifice and bravery.

      Delete