amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

2021 Recap


 

How has 2021 been both the longest and shortest year on record? Lord. Anyway, it's that time again - recap time. 

I thought to start this post by expressing my disappointment in myself for not accomplishing all that I set out to, because I did not in fact meet all my professional goals and I am indeed disappointed in that fact. But I'm thinking about something that my mom has said to me over and over this year: "Give yourself some grace." I've been really self-critical this year, and I think that has only worsened my stress and chronic pain. Every time I felt poorly, and couldn't get hold of that sharp, bright brain power that fuels my best writing - when I had to stay off the computer - I berated myself, and that helps NOTHING. Ugh. So let's see if I can set disappointment aside and focus on the good stuff. 

I was able to put out three books this year:

Edge of the Wild - Drake Chronicles Book 2

Vanish Into Light - Hell Theory Book 3

Blood of Wolves - Drake Chronicles Book 3 

All three were fantasy of a sort. I'm shocked and proud that I managed to write a trilogy (okay, there was a novella, but does that count?) and actually stick to it. No 5, 6, 7 book monstrous series with dozens of sub plots. Those are my FAVORITE, but I'm glad Hell Theory managed to do its thing and finish on a mostly positive note. That's such a funky little series, and mostly the result of binge-rewatching Hannibal last year. Though, given my longtime obsession with Saint Michael - and I think my other work reflects this - it's not that surprising. 

Then there's the Drakes, which started on a whim, and which has turned into the fun, mostly lighthearted, intricate epic fantasy story I wasn't sure I'd ever get to write. EOTW is my favorite so far, with regards to how fun it was to write. BOW, though, offered a chance to write a proper castle siege, which I'll need to do a lot more of when I eventually get around to writing Lionheart. Why do I have to pick the MOST complex and controversial historical figures to write about? 

I started a number of WIPs this year, some of which I hope to publish in 2022. The one with the largest word count at the moment is The Wild Charge - which I'm going to take a step back from in the coming weeks. I don't think Dartmoor will ever be anything save the series that inspired the most abuse and criticism from self-proclaimed "fans," and I'm just exhausted at this point. 

One thing I will say, for a moment...an aside if you will. Nothing has seemed to make followers angrier than the times I call for civility and kindness. "Please don't come tell me you don't like/won't read my work to my face, on my personal pages," I say, and am met with profanity and assertions of having lost readers. "I spent hard-earned money on your books." Yes, you did. You bought a book - you bought a product that I hope you enjoyed. But. If I may... That was an exchange. You bought a good. You got something out of it - it wasn't a donation. When you enter a restaurant and pay for a meal, you are paying for a meal - you are not paying for the privilege of throwing a drink in your server's face. If you bought my book, I hope you liked it, but that $3.99 - of which I only see a dollar - does not buy anyone the privilege of insulting and belittling and dogpiling on me on one of my pages. You'd be incensed if someone walked into your house and insulted your new haircut. Me asking for civility in my own back yard, essentially, isn't untoward. 

SO. Anyway...lots I need to write, lots I want to write. I'm hoping for a healthier 2022, physically and mentally. 

On a reading front, I read lots of books I want to recommend, and while I wish I'd bothered to do full write-ups all along, I'll just share the titles now:

A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine

The House of Niccolo Series by Dorothy Dunnett

A Slow Fire Burning by Paula Hawkins 

Subtle Blood by K.J. Charles 

Mended With Gold by Lee Welch

Thrown Off The Ice by Taylor Fitzpatrick 

The Angel of the Crow by Katherine Addison 

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan 

A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel 

Reread of Broken Harbor by Tana French 

Reread of various Sherlock Holmes mysteries. 

Crusaders by Dan Jones

I also bought myself an anatomy drawing book, and I'm excited to dive back into sketching and painting as one of my resolutions. I miss the visual arts, and think it would be a good way to wind down in the evenings. 

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year - and hopefully an actually happy one, for all of us. See you next year :) 

6 comments:

  1. Please remember the vast majority of your fans would never trash you ever, EVER. I'm so sorry for their crappy behavior. I'd say they were brought up by wolves, but that would be an insult to wolves. Please continue to write whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats way I droped FB, because of all this nastyness and hate - I am just checking onece a month to see for ex your FB page. Write what makes you joy, that is what we really love to read anyway :). Please remeber about us few that are much invested in your novel heroes and are treating them like real people :) that we love Tenny and Reese and now since Tenny has opened up and is so touchy feely we would loooove to see end of that story - even in distand feature, I hope and wish (also for myself for next year)that writing about them will some day bring you delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And caaaaaant wait for Lionheart. Also what after that in the series ? - are you planing to write Fulk nad Annabels book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you get hateful responses, these last couple years has really brought out the ugly in some people. Personally, I'm very much enjoying your books and can't wait for what you do next. Happy New Year! 💜

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also sorry you get hateful responses. I also very much love your books and just finished reading Golden Eagle and look forward to reading Lionheart when it is ready. I hope you continue to make real books in print as it is hard for some (like me) to read long on a computer screen.
    I adore your writing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very sad that The Wild Charge is on hold - but you do what's best for your mental health. It saddens me that a few troll buttwads are heard louder than those who love you, but that's what happens. You are loved, and even if it's 5 years from now, I will still read anything Dartmoor that you choose to write.

    ReplyDelete