amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Sunday, March 21, 2021

EOTW: Fave Lines


 


Edge of the Wild - now available for Kindle HERE - is one of the most romantic, sentimental books I've written, but it also has the most banter. One of the things I enjoyed most was the dialogue. Narrowing down my favorite lines proved challenging, and I've left some off the list, but in no particular order, my faves are:


“I’ve never cared about you enough to hate you. I hate that I’ll have to marry you, or someone like you, for the sake of my family.”

**

“Oh, I’m full of truths, but they get so covered up by my being a pompous ass no one usually notices.”

**

“You’re useless with a sword, from my understanding” – Oliver shot Erik a dark look which he couldn’t see, lashes still lowered – “but your liege there is insisting, and I have to agree.”

My liege,” Oliver parroted. “Can my liege not teach me himself?”

“I have very many kingly things to attend to.” 

**

“Leif,” he murmured, chest aching. “You don’t have to worry about all of us right now.”

The wry twist of Leif’s mouth was far too knowing. “Was there ever a moment when you stopped worrying about all of us? Have you ever not thought like a king?”

**

“Shall I open up the window and let you throw them right out into the snow? It might save you a step.”

**

“Do you think that I have ever, for a second, wanted anyone the way I want you?”



**

“I could box his ears, the bloody, contrary fool. A king. A king. Talk of impertinent – I send him to work out a marriage contract and he tumbles the king? The gall of him.”

“Mother, I think this morning has firmly established that we can’t help who we fall in love with,” Amelia said, dryly.

Katherine let out a slow breath and pinched the bridge of her nose. “Gods above, I shall have to explain this to people. Lady Matilda is going to laugh in my face.”

**

“Do you remember that time you told me that dragons existed?...This now? Tonight? Twice as alarming.”

**


“I wonder: what did you tell them, Ragnar? I’m not sure I like ‘paramour.’ It makes me sound like a strumpet – rather than the man who saved your sorry ass from a cold-drake.”

**

"Mothers have to be indelicate sometimes, when the truth is anything but.”



There are more! But those were the ones that jumped out to me this morning. That last is my favorite: Bjorn with a flash of brilliance when it's needed most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment