amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, July 15, 2019

General Update Stuff

Well, I managed not to blog for the entire month of June, and now it's halfway through July. Between personal stress, and an effort to have a Summer of All the Words, I've done a social media pullback, but I think it's high time for some general updates.

- On a personal front, my horse Markus has been sick since June 20th, and has needed lots of special care and attention. He's having a flareup of an autoimmune issue which, at its worst, causes his left hind leg to swell larger than twice its normal size, from groin to hoof. It weeps fluid, and the hair and skin die, and he runs fever, and can't walk, and it's generally awful. Given this is his 4th (maybe 5th) flareup in the last decade, and that he's now 23 years old, it's been a rough time for the old widow-maker. The swelling is down - his leg hasn't been normal-sized in years, so we're back to his baseline, more or less - and the fever's gone, but he went off his feed and lost lots of weight. Eating better, but still not moving well. Poor man. 

- Funnily enough, though, that kind of stress tends to make me creative; or perhaps it's just that I need a productive outlet for the stress. So I've been writing quite a lot in the evenings and between looking after him. Right now I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 WIPs that I ping back and forth between. Golden Eagle is my main project, but I try to add at least 100 words a day to the others. They're all very different genre-wise, and I'd really like to comoplete all of them. 

- If you follow me on FB, you'll know that thanks to an old/corrupted flash drive and a glitchy automatic computer update, I have, for the moment, "misplaced" all 110k words of the planned Dartmoor book 7, When In Rome. I have my computer set to autosave every 5 mins, and I've manually saved the book all along, too. I've worked on it on 2 separate computers, and I most definitely didn't delete it, but it's just gone. I have no idea how that's possible. I plan to, at some point, see if an IT expert knows of a way to retrieve it from the aether, but...honestly...I'm not in a hurry, given what's going on, and given that I have other WIPs that are, in my opinion, much stronger examples of my work. If I manage to recover it, and decide to publish it, rest assured I'll let everyone know. But it's back-burner right now. And perhaps its loss is a blessing, in truth. It was basically just "Kris learns how to trust/Roman learns how to be someone who doesn't run away/sex/the Lean Dogs make more enemies." Your basic stuff. 

Let's see...that's probably it for now. It's miserably hot. Lots to do. I'm trying not to think about that blog post I read recently which talked about the number of books indie authors have to crank out a year. Trying not to think about that at all...failing. Trying to write some shorter things, faster things, standalone things. Also trying to write big epic things. Because I never learn. 

Happy Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment