amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, January 8, 2018

RRJ 1/8

I'm doing something I don't normally do, but something that feels like it will be a big help: I'm going to live-blog my Red Rooster writing journal. I keep lots of journals - usually research notes and scattered tidbits and plot bunnies, all of it scattered. In the spirit of New Year's productivity, I'm going to (at least to start with) run a journal for this latest installment in the Sons of Rome series, my only project at the moment, and share it here in case anyone enjoys that sort of thing. I'm super excited about this book, and series, and can't wait to share book two later this spring.


1/8/18

Currently sitting at a little over 32k words. Much progress has been made since I finished that last Dartmoor-related thing and put it out in December. Christmas slowed things down a little, as is necessary; took some time to research – all things Vlad and his little brother in this book and the next are killing me in the best way. Brother vs. brother, anguish, misunderstanding, abuse and heartache – these are the reasons I write books. This is my jam.
Rooster is too good for this world, and also, ferocious.
Red is too good for this world, and even more ferocious.
Sasha is my baby, and deserves all the hugs. 
I love that this series – indeed, even this book – lets me play with different aesthetics. Usually with a book, you’re limited by setting in all aspects. Not so here: I can play with several at once, and it keeps things fresh, makes immersing myself in each setting completely worthwhile.
I also love that this series isn’t formulaic. I like that nothing is rushed. I love the idea that readers will have the chance to actually ship pairings rather than being told, ahead of each book, that everyone is neatly paired off and everything is pre-prescribed.
2k words a day seems to be my sweet spot right now, but I hope to get beyond that tomorrow. I have football brain today.
Writing one thing and only one thing at a time is freeing and amazing.

1 comment: