amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, August 14, 2017

The Blackmere Manor Aesthetic

I've always wanted an excuse to write a decadent, creaky, secret-keeping old Gothic house, complete with somber portraits, ornate candelabras, and unsettling canopied beds. 


He cast another glance over his shoulder at the Gothic masterpiece of a home, its narrow, mullioned windows, its dangerous eaves, its rain-streaked stone façade. The stone gargoyles on the roof seemed to move if you squinted, their lips peeled back in constant snarls, wings spread threateningly. Tucked away deep in the woods outside of Richmond, the house couldn’t have looked more out of place in Virginia if it had tried, seemingly snatched off the cover of a novel, plucked from a dark and stormy English countryside.





2 comments:

  1. I love the visuals you post for your stories. As an avid reader of your books it definitely enhances my reading experience!

    BTW - the pictures (except for the red haired girl) remind me of a great movie - The Haunting (1963). A movie to be watched with all of the lights on.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos remind me of those first romantic suspense books I used to read back in the day. Or could it be visit from Dark Shadows with Barnabus Collins?

    ReplyDelete