amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The End Again

 
Let's see. This is book number...sixteen? If you count the Russell supplement stories, which I do. So this is sixteen, and still, typing those two words - THE END - never stops being emotional. So I had to stop, afterward, and pop over here to blog.
 
It's over. Thank the Lord it's over! And yet...it's sad. Bittersweet to close the door on them again.
 
I have some confessions to make. If Aidan was a real flesh and blood boy, I wouldn't give him the time of day. That whole tatted-up bad boy uber macho thing? Not my scene. Not in any way. Men like him have no power of persuasion over me. So it was with much trepidation that I approached writing his book. Mercy and Michael I can understand - they were loners, weirdos, sensitive and intelligent, intellectual, well-read. Walsh is older, mature, sharp as a tack. All things I value. But Aidan? Oh boy. That was going to be a challenge. Unfortunately, my readers gravitated toward him from the first, so I knew this book would happen. And it did. And I'm glad for it. I do love him now. But it took a whole book for me to come to understand and appreciate him. Because you know what was hiding beneath that swagger?
 
A sweet boy. Who was abandoned by his mother, who was raised by an unfeeling father and a kind stepmom who was only eight years his senior. By the end of it, I wanted to cry for Aidan, and that's a must for me. I have to want to shed tears for a hero, before he can be my hero.
 
It's incredibly important to me that my characters, regardless of gender, feel real, human, genuine. I reject the label of "alpha male" because I likewise reject the idea that a strong man comes in one variety, with a certain set of traits. Strength is a variegated adjective. In my mind, Ghost is the only true alpha of the series, because he truly is the leader. His strength lies in making the hard calls, the tough decisions that may result in bloodshed. Heartless? Not really. Just uncompromising. While Aidan is strong because he retains a certain softness, and can apologize for his mistakes.
 
Secondhand Smoke also dips a little deeper into Tango's history. And I won't lie - I have serious misgivings about writing his novel. Why? Because I'm not sure a romance audience is ready for a hero like Tango. Who is anything but "alpha," who has been a victim, and an addict, and who struggles. If I write his book, I want to do it total justice, without shrinking from the uncomfortable or the dark. I love him, and I want to do right by him. And I don't know if this is the right time to do so. We'll have to see. Of the bunch, he's my baby. And I won't sacrifice the realism; nor will I offer him up on a silver platter for the haters and the critics who refuse to examine literature that doesn't fit into a particular box.
 
Tired yet? This is my emotional dump. Finishing a book is always a sensitive time for an author. It makes me want to hug my characters, and hold them close.
 
Thank you, readers, for your patience. I wish I could write a book a month, but quality demands more time than that. I hope you'll enjoy Smoke. Look for it next month. I'll keep you updated.

4 comments:

  1. Lauren it was one year ago this week that I happened upon your novel, Fearless. I couldn't put it down, read through the night waited oh so unpaitiently for the rest of it to come out. I love your writting, the depth, love and strenght you give to the character's. Now one year later and I'm still on pins and needles waiting for the next chapter to be released for Snow in Texas. Thank you for the excapism your stories have allowed me over what has been one of the hardest years of my life. Thank you for the hope they have displayed in unconventional love and understanding. You are an amazing author, I look forward to reading what you have in store next. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, thank you so much for sharing your story with me. I was so touched to read your comment, and I must say how sorry I am that you've had a hard year. Over the years, my favorite books have served as lights in dark places; to know that Fearless helped you escape is the best compliment I could receive. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas xoxo

      Delete
  2. My only Lauren Gilley fix now, is Texas Snow.. I just finished, Fix Me. The last of the Walker series was for me, the best . I loved the storyline; a cheating Husband, and the great guy who entered her life. It had everything I like in a story., but then, I can't think of one of your books that didn't have everything I liked; mystery, romance, heartache, adventure, great writing, with characters I could understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed Fix You, Shirley! I had such fun writing that book, because we got to catch up with all the Walkers. You know me - I have a hard time letting characters ride off into the sunset without checking in with them :-) And it was an interesting challenge as a writer to tackle a character like Jess, who is sometimes hated, but who I think represents a real reaction of an angry, divorced woman in that situation. I like to give happy endings to all sorts of characters.

      I'm hoping to get one more chapter of Snow up before Christmas. I've really enjoyed having an on-the-side adventure, so I think I might write a story for Candy on Wattpad next :-)

      Delete