amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, September 26, 2024

#ThrowbackThursday: Monument of Stones


Alexei didn’t like snow.

He had. Once. The crunch of it beneath his boots recalled rosy cheeks, and panted breaths; shrieks of delight, and the high, bright laughter of his sisters. Mama’s face watching from the window and Papa laughing lower, quieter on the steps, reminding the girls every so often not to throw anything at him too hard. Careful of your brother. Gentle, now. Not too hard. An impromptu snowball fight against the glittering backdrop of the Winter Palace, and the balls small and lobbed softly, the patches of ice pointed out, because a simple bruise could send Alexei straight to bed for weeks. Grisha had returned to his hometown, and there would be no tickle of beard, or murmured words to soothe the pain away now, should he slip and fall.

But that was all in the past: sledding – when he was allowed – and riding with Mama in the sleigh, furs tucked snugly around him. Hot tea soothing cold-nipped noses…all fond, comforting memories overlaid now by the memories of Siberia. Of the too-small house where blackout shades had kept the neighbors from seeing them, while men with rifles kept them from leaving. A prison – a Red prison. And then, later, waking in the pit. Running barefoot through the snow with the scent of blood in his lungs. Bolsheviks; enemies; dinner


The teaser here is not from Golden Eagle, but from The Winter Palace, which I managed to add about twelve-hundred words to yesterday! Progress! Words on page! Despite the heaviness of the subject matter, and the necessary glut of research notes weighing on the entire process, there is something undeniably comforting about writing this series. It's the only series I write in which there's not a chorus of haunting little you know what they're gonna complain about? voices chiming unhelpfully in the back of my head while I write. I don't heed those voices, but they're obnoxious; I've gotten really good at predicting what sort of flak a particular novel will draw. But with Sons of Rome, not only do I ignore the doubt - it isn't there to begin with. It's always been an indulgent series to write; it feels like writing just for my own enjoyment, with zero expectation of an audience, and it's therefore a lovely surprise when I share it and have positive responses to it. 

I've known from the get-go that Alexei had an important - a vital - role to play in the series overall, and thanks to a long-held fascination, it was never a hardship to research and incorporate tales of the royal family. But while writing Golden Eagle, I realized how much I was enjoying Alexei as a character. That I liked him. I love all of the characters in this series, and I especially love that so many of them have so much growing and coming into their own to do before the end. I think, when we finally get to the Campus Martius, I might even be proud of our little tsarevich. 

1 comment: