amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Sunday, July 23, 2023

Lord Have Mercy: The Details



I decided to split my debrief post into two - or, rather, to have one post, still to come, that talks about the heavy stuff: the themes, the conflict, the challenges that lie ahead; my creative decisions and where those have the potential to take us. 

This post, however, is about the small, fluffy, worldbuilding tidbits that I enjoyed the most. 

I think one of the charms of this series is its tendency (er, my tendency, I suppose) to continually incorporate the entire cast and keep everyone updated on their comings and goings, even, or perhaps especially, their more mundane ones. Given that it's an outlaw epic, it would be very easy for the action of the series to start feeling detached from reality. We've got trained assassins, and millionaires with private jets, and professional torturers, and all of that rather spectacular action could start to peel away and leave the whole thing garish and gluey, like a bright cardboard box dropped in a puddle. Detail is what grounds it, and what makes me excited to continue. The action is important, and thrilling, and a host of other adjectives, but for me, the action is what makes the small, tender moments all the sweeter. 

In no particular order my favorite details in Lord Have Mercy Part One are:

Ava and Mercy's domestic life. The next three parts of the story are going to be action-heavy, full of mystery, intrigue, violence, some tears and some smiles, but when the story opens, Ava and Mercy are living the daily grind dream. There's laundry, and instant grits, and early-morning alarms. Mercy still works at the Dartmoor bike shop, and Ava's still doggedly trying to pursue her writing; like most writers, myself included, she's struggling to scrape a few pennies out of a largely unlucrative profession and feeling like a failure. They're comfortable, but not wealthy; they're happy. They fought so hard to be together, and they don't ever take that for granted. It was important that I be able to show that before the shit hits the fan; for everyone to see them dealing with the wonderful, everyday drudgery of living on their own terms. 

Ash wants a cinnamon bagel. He's a manipulative little terror, and I take dark pleasure in Maggie and Ghost having their hands full with him at this stage in their lives. 

Walsh and Tenny teaching Emmie's lessons. That was a mental image too tempting to pass up. Walsh perched on the rail with a cigarette - that's a big etiquette no-no in the world of lesson-teaching - and Tenny calling poor students idiots until they're crying. I had myself a little chuckle writing that line. 

This exchange

Tenny pushed the door wide, and whistled. “Jesus. Fucking Attack of the Clones in here.” To Reese: “That’s a movie.”

“I know. You made me watch it.”

“I didn’t make you. You loved it.”

“If you say so.”

Devin taking Violet to win a fish. This was possibly my favorite little fluff scene in the whole book. I love that Devin is trying, and that the idea still gives Walsh heart palpitations, but that, deep down, he sees and appreciates the effort on his dad's part. This line - 

A thought struck him, suddenly: even if he did love Devin, against his will, he wasn’t sure he’d ever be able to like the man, on principle alone. Too much bad blood, the habit too deeply ingrained. But like didn’t much matter, because without him, there’d be no Violet, and even if Walsh had never thanked Devin for his own existence, he could thank him for his daughter’s.

 - is not only one of my favorites, but the sort of line that encompasses every family in the series. 

Colin being the one to grab Ava. I'm stoked to build up more of a relationship between Ava and Colin, and Ava and Alex. Mercy's brothers play a tremendous role in this story, and I liked the idea of Colin throwing himself in the mix to protect her. Ava understands Mercy in a way that no one else in his life ever has, and so she understands the parts of Colin and Alex that they don't want to acknowledge. There's lots of delicious family drama fodder there. 

I'd be curious to know which details stuck out to you guys. Favorite exchanges? Little character moments? 


8 comments:

  1. I love the ladies having lunch together and Ava filling them in on what's happening before the men know. MC books typically focus on the brotherhood and that's fine and all but the bonds between these women really shine for me.

    Also Maggie surveying her restaurant made me so happy for a fictional character. I had mentioned to my daughter that these later books in the series feel like I am visiting with some old friends and catching up on what's going on with them and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best line! “Maybe they have you plastic surgery. Maybe Nic Cage is walking around somewhere wearing your vital face.” I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, am so loving this book. There are so many great moments with Mercy - where he shows compassion and understanding while being a total badass. I love the relationship he is building with Grayson. Just like he did with Reese and Tango, and to some extent, Tenny. This scene with Roman was funny but it speaks volumes about Mercy “And I have been working with Grayson in my lunch breaks…I Can squeeze you in if you need some “how to a person lessons”…. “ empathy, consider getting some”. Lord have Mercy I love this character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the detail. It is definitely what makes it feel real. Fiction is an escape from reality but it is the detail of reality that makes the escape possible. I love Mercy he is one of my all time favorite characters. I am looking forward to how this plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this book so much especialy the Nic Cage reference. waiting for the second :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mercy trying to get to Ava. Ghost and Maggie running to find Ava. Maggie’s golden hair fluttering over Ghost’s face. I hated when the cop hit Mercy in his bad knee and the baton striking him in the
    back. Colin and and Candy stopping Mercy. Tenny and Reese surveying the scene. I think they will be crucial in figuring things out. Colin saving Ava. Mercy thinking Alex had set everything up. The whole scene was just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Gray! The scene where Mercy brought him coffee and Mercy teaching him to cook was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that Gray sees the thing Mercy has in common with Alex, the thing Alex has been hiding and hiding from. “His half-brother was restless, though. Because of his upbringing? His training? Or was it because, unlike Mercy, he’d forced himself into a corner in which he didn’t belong? Because he practiced and practiced at the range enough to build up calluses, but didn’t have anything like a real outlet for his aggression?” I can’t wait for Alex to find that outlet!

    ReplyDelete