amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Tuesday, May 21, 2024

#TeaserTuesday: Complicated

 

 

There were other, more pressing questions to ask, but the one that formed on Ava’s tongue needed to come out, or drive her crazy forever for missing her shot. “Dee didn’t want to be with Remy – she left him. So why was she so obsessed with him? Why’d she keep tabs on him?”

That finally landed like an arrow. Barbara blinked, and, afterward, her gaze skated across the room. It snagged on something – maybe Reese, going by her slight frown – and then returned. Her eyes weren’t so impassive this time. “Dee was complicated.”

“So’s cancer. It’ll still kill you.”

The first glimmer of emotion touched her: frown lines deepening around her mouth. “She–”

Out of patience, Ava decided to swing the hammer, and sweep up the glass if necessary. “She was a bitch,” she said, coldly, and Barbara’s brows jumped, once.

Colin muttered, “Oh, shit.”

Maggie nodded, subtly. Approving. It gave Ava the nerve to press on.

“I know you cared about her,” Ava said. “And I know that, even though she’s dead, your loyalty lies with her, and not us. Not Felix. I’m not here to resurrect ghosts. I’m looking for my son. Loyalty to Dee aside, you should at least want to protect an eight-year-old boy who never hurt anyone. Dee’s grandson, at that.”

Barbara jerked, sat somehow more upright, and crossed her legs the other way. Picked an invisible spot of lint off her skirt. She met Ava’s gaze head-on, and Ava thought she was seeing the real Barbara for the first time. In a sharp, affronted voice, she said, “Did I say I didn’t want to help your little boy?”

“Not in so many words,” Ava shot back. “But you sure were beating around the bush about it.”


It's wall-to-wall ghosts in this one, for everyone.

6 comments:

  1. What a teaser!!! CANNOT wait for this one!! Ava is really gonna shine in this one. I feel she will earn more respect than some of the guys. #MamaBear ❤️📖 #WordWeaver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t improve or add anything to your comment. I love Lauren’s writing!

      Delete
  2. I just finished Part lll Rising Son. Now I'll have to curbed my impatience for Part lV. I'm no authority on writers or the art of writing, but to keep someone so engrossed in the subject, shows the excellence of the writer. These stories get me so caught up that I have a hard time going back to reality when I have to stop reading. I'm thoroughly anticipating the end of Boyle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg are those other children Dee had Remys?The one holding little Remy now? Wow ok I had a hard time getting into another book after this last instalment. I could give up all the books and just keep reading this world Ms Gilley has created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all the comments. I love it when I’m living in Lauren’s world and never want to leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! Comment above is mine.

    ReplyDelete