amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Thursday, September 14, 2023

#ThrowbackThursday - Prodigal Son

 

It wasn’t supposed to go like this.

Her target, Charles William Fox, was half-brother to the London chapter president. He didn’t hold a steady job in the city, and, for some reason, he chose to drink at a pub that wasn’t owned by his club. A bit odd, maybe, but Eden walked into McTaggert’s that night thinking she knew what to expect.

But she hadn’t counted on Fox.

He’d leveled a grin like a weapon at her – repeatedly. “Most people don’t, but you can call me Charlie.”

Charlie. With dark hair that gleamed under a row of Christmas lights, and a clean-shaven, almost boyish face. Not handsome in a traditional sense, but interesting. A spark in those big, blue, blue eyes.

All of my favorite characters in Dartmoor belong to the same group of half-siblings. Devin’s brood are all cold, calculating, clinical when they need to be, loving when they can be…but never mushy. None of them have a love story like the fated, epic, all-consuming romance that is Mercy-and-Ava, but no one should have expected them to. Tenny’s the tenderest, down beneath his cache of masks, his love almost violent. His older siblings have learned to temper those sorts of feelings, aided by Devin’s DNA.

Over the years I’ve said all that I care to say about Prodigal Son. I like it. I stand by it. I’m proud of it. It’s necessary reading for the series as a whole.

And Charlie is, well…he’s Charlie. Unknowable even to the people who know and love him best. 

6 comments:

  1. I never understood why some (evil) people didn't like this book I loved getting to know this family. And i thought Fox was sexy and Eden was hooked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you!

      Delete
    2. I don't want to call them "evil," I at least need to *try* to be nice, lol! I wish the people who are intentionally trying to drum up criticism of my work would lay off, though I don't suppose they ever will. But with regards to people who didn't like the book, I've noticed a trend: Walsh, Fox, and Raven all got the same sort of criticism. Some readers "expecting more." I think it's simply a case of some readers not recognizing that those characters are simply more aloof. They wanted those characters to change, and open up their hearts, and get all warm and fuzzy for love, but that was never in the cards for them. I like the variety in characterization, and I stand by Devin's brood. They may be cool, but they do feel things deeply in their own quiet ways.

      Delete
  2. Wow I can’t believe Walsh, Raven and Fox are being criticized. I thought you kept them true to character. Not everyone is mushy. I loved their stories. The only characters that didn’t make sense to me was Tenny. You wrote him soo good then gave him a guy who I wanted for Cassie, the baby sister of the bunch. But that was me wanting something else for the character not that they were wrote bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walsh is my favorite! I wonder what they would say about me😂! Keep up all the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I can’t believe they’re criticized. Raven and Toly’s story is one of my favorites. I loved it and have read it many times.

    ReplyDelete