Several months ago, I saw a spat of unhappy X posts because “horse
people” were judging a “cowboy romance” in which it was, apparently, very
obvious that the author had never been around horses or horse people. “What is
a horse person?” one angry book fan wrote. “As if that’s a thing.”
It is a thing, and not the elitist thing you’re thinking.
This angry author-defender likely had visions of spoiled private
school girls in mind…and, even if some them are intolerable brats, most
of them are horse people, too. But that’s not what I think of when I ponder on
the term. And us horse people as a whole? We’re our own breed of weirdo.
My first request, at four-years-old, was for a horse of my
own. I at one point said, at the laughing goads of relatives, that I’d trade my
own dad for a horse. I wouldn’t have, usually, but it was this viscerally,
enigmatic impulse I possessed from birth. I wanted to be a jockey (not
eventually.) I wanted a horse of my own. A farm of my own. It was the only concrete
thing, aside from a pickup truck, that I wanted with such a bone-deep, aching
sort of nostalgia. (It’d be nice to have a husband, now, but that won’t
happen.)
Why? I couldn’t tell you in specifics, despite being an
author who’s pumped out something like ten million words.
Most little girls, and a fair many little boys, love the
idea of having a pony.
But then there’s the horse people. It’s an addiction.
It’s a need. It’s a phase that’ll never end.
I could write you a novel about why I’m a horse person, and
why all the horses I’ve known and loved had reinforced that; why all the
incredible, non-famous horse people I’ve known have reinforced it further.
But I think at its core, universally, across breed and
discipline, that, for some of us, horses call to this deep, hard-to-touch
longing that lives in some of us. The equestrian/ranching life sings to a
personal, melancholy part of us that’s always looking toward sunrises and
sunsets. It’s something bigger than us. It’s our communion with God. It’s the
thirst for knowledge and the love of absolute beauty all rolled together.
In my experience, horse people love stories. We love legends
– and legacy. It’s about something so much bigger than us, that will far
outlive us. It’s history. Centuries of history.
I want to kiss my girls’ noses at night, but it’s so much
more than that. We’re carrying on a tradition of the world that we hope won’t
someday be lost.
It’s the most difficult thing I’ve ever had to describe, and
maybe someday I’ll get it right.

No comments:
Post a Comment