amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

AQHA Futures

 

I finally figured out how to properly voice what’s been bugging me so much about the whole Taylor Sheridan issue. (My issue.)

Do I like his work? Not really. Whatever. He’s just Kurt Sutter 2.0. Enough decent content to capture male audiences who think he’s saying something profound without ever actually touching on the unique magic that is the American West, or its enduring literary themes. Any clip from Ree Drummond’s cooking show is more authentic than his shows. (Please don’t go after Ree.)

Two: I wish Beth was an actual tough-as-nails horsewoman instead of a shit-talking harridan.

Three, and my biggest and actual real-world issue: He’s bought 6666 Ranch and is flooding a ton of money into the AQHA breeding and showing industry. While I’ve seen some people be thankful for the financial backing – and I totally get that – I have this concern that we’re looking at the long-term Amazonification of America’s most important breed of horse. The American Quarter Horse foundation stallions, whose lines we’ve been preserving for decades, were usually bought for next to nothing by non-wealthy people who recognized talent. The thought of a very wealthy Hollywood star inserting himself so heavily into the industry, in such a bold way, feels like this breed registry is about to go commercial, and I HATE that. The AQHA Journal is almost nothing but 6666 now. None of it feels organic to me; I think we’re looking at a man with an ego trying to take over something important and diverse.

He didn’t invent performance horses, or the West, and I think he’s done a shit job of honoring either…or horsewomen. The sad part is, he’s becoming the face and name associated with all three.

If you’re thinking, “Lauren, aren’t you glad someone with enough money bought 6666 Ranch and is continuing it?” Yes!! Most definitely. But his fictional work doesn’t prove to me that he’s worried about the same things I am in the industry. And the thing that MAKES an industry like breeding is difference of opinion. Different eyes, different preferences, different bloodlines. I’m worried we’re approaching a one-man AQHA. This is the most popular breed of horse in the world, but like America itself, it’s one of the youngest acknowledged breeds. I care SO MUCH about how this spectacular animal is managed and reproduced.

None of this is meant as an attack on his character. But I very genuinely feel that to work with horses is to stand at our ancestors’ feet.  If’s he’s to become the face of the AQHA, I’ll argue with him publicly when he can talk to me about pastern angles and Impressive. Otherwise, I guess I’ll have to wait and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment