amazon.com/authors/laurengilley

You can check out my books on Amazon.com, and at Barnes & Noble too.

Monday, January 29, 2018

RRJ 1/29


We are rolling right along. 62k words as of finishing this morning's writing block, and lots more left to write. Sequels are my favorites because that's when I get to really crack the characters open like eggs on the side of a bowl and see what they're made of. 

I wanted to share some of my favorite lines from last week's writing:

Red Rooster
Copyright © 2018 by Lauren Gilley 


“Lanny,” Steve said, brows knitting in concern. “How did this – are you okay?”
“Oh, yeah.” Lanny shrugged, and Nikita could tell his bravado was entirely fake – in the part of his brain that was managing to catalogue all of this and read emotions. “I’m cool. I mean, I wasn’t. This guy” – he jerked a thumb at Alexei beside him – “didn’t even ask, or anything. I was pissed. But. Yeah, so I had cancer…? Was kinda dying. I guess it all worked out.” He shrugged again, inelegant caveman that he was.

***

"You’re having second thoughts.” She smiled a fraction when she said it, pleased that she’d figured him out. “Why?”
Jake held her gaze stubbornly for a long moment, and then caved, glancing away, exhaling tiredly through his nose. He’d never before been the one to back down first in a game of chicken; but he guessed he wasn’t the same man he’d been then. The Major Treadwell who’d sacrificed himself for his unit had died in a desert inferno; the blind man who’d crawled back, who’d been given a second chance and the leadership of this hackneyed team, wasn’t so unwaveringly sure of himself. 

***

“Do vampires eat breakfast? ‘Cause we’re making a literal ton of food.”
“I dunno about him, but this one does,” Lanny said, and smiled wide enough to show his fangs.
Mom blinked at him, then sighed, expression becoming resigned. “Young lady.” Her gaze came back to Trina. “You’ve got a lot of explaining to do.”





1 comment: